Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installing a Mustang Seat & Clearview Shield On SERK 07  (Read 2226 times)

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
Installing a Mustang Seat & Clearview Shield On SERK 07
« on: September 13, 2009, 11:34:38 PM »

Gents:

Bought mine used, never followed up to get the owners manual.   Is there a todo thread or list or place I can go for step by step instructions on putting my new mustang seat and clearview sheild on my SERK 07 ?

Couple of challenges.  (1) Never had a Harley.  (2) Im a mechnical idiot.   Put a screwdriver in my hand, the house wil fall down.   

Total beginner ...

Thanks

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Re: Installing a Mustang Seat & Clearview Shield On SERK 07
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:34:27 AM »

As far as the seat, One screw to remove and its at the very back of seat on top of rear fender, then pull up on back of seat just enough so you will not scratch the fender and pull straight back, the seat is off. Under the front of seat there is nothing to unbolt, there's a clip that hold seat in place, thats the reason you have to pull back on seat to remove. As far as the Clearview Sheild, Are you using the detachable that came with the 07 or do you have a faring?
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:49:12 AM »

Two very simple tasks, .  1 screw for the seat, follow intructions for the shield. Since it's a King you should already have a mount on the forks.
Start with the seat, then when your comfortable with screws move on to the shield.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:50:59 AM by DICKW »
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 10:46:33 AM »

Gents:

Bought mine used, never followed up to get the owners manual.   Is there a todo thread or list or place I can go for step by step instructions on putting my new mustang seat and clearview sheild on my SERK 07 ?

Couple of challenges.  (1) Never had a Harley.  (2) Im a mechnical idiot.   Put a screwdriver in my hand, the house wil fall down.   

Total beginner ...

Thanks

Is your mustang seat a two up, or solo?  Does the mustang seat have a rider's backrest?  Depending on the answers you may need to remove the mounting hardware for the stock rider's backrest.

Here is a link to Mustang's website with installation instructions for all models.  http://www.mustangseats.com/cart/index.php?main_page=page_2

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »

While it might be obvious, remove the grab strap first to get the seat off.  There is a screw on the left side I believe that holds the strap to the chrome saddlebag bracket.  When removing ot reinstalling a seat, I always keep my fingers on one hand hand on that front mounting tab to make sure you don'r gouge the paint on the tank. 

Windshield isn't too bad if you heat tp the stainless supports, one at a time and pry them off.  The double stick tape can be reused.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 03:13:29 PM »

While it might be obvious, remove the grab strap first to get the seat off.  There is a screw on the left side I believe that holds the strap to the chrome saddlebag bracket.  When removing ot reinstalling a seat, I always keep my fingers on one hand hand on that front mounting tab to make sure you don'r gouge the paint on the tank. 

I use the "quick knob" you use for the seat, same threads.....works great, no screwdrivers needed.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »

Thanks all.  I'll give it a go tonight.

Misses at class, Im left home alone.

What could possbily go wrong ....

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »

Thanks all.  I'll give it a go tonight.

Misses at class, Im left home alone.

What could possbily go wrong ....

You drop the screw for the seat and lose it.....

Go for it.

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »

Well I did it.   

That d m! front shield was challenging though becuase the prior owner (I bought it with 3,000 miles on her) had passing lights put on so to get to those bottom two screws took forever.   

And then I dropped them, of course, and someohow they ended up on the other side of the garage under some box.  If someone paid me $1,000,000 I couldnt have managed that.  Murphy's law ...

BUT !

I did it, it looks good, Mustang seat fits perfectly and the Clearview shield (17 inch) far better on the head wind buffering than stock and looks good too !

To top it off, this morning I dropped her off at the shop to get my rear Works Shocks installed - $95.  So I probably saved myself about $150 with the effort and felt good doing it, even though they were just bolt ons. 

She runs great too (no issues, and I ride hard, but with respect).  I have the V&H monster ovals (chrome with black tips on the black ice 07 SERK) and all I had done was the fuel pak and asked for an ever so slightly rich assurance for engine health. 

Other than when various nude situations occur, can a simple man get any happier  ...

I think not.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »

Congrats Two Wheels!   :2vrolijk_21:  I have always found the the various HD accessories come with very good directions.  Many of the aftermarket accessories have the directions on line to download and / or print.  Taking time and using loctite have always helped me.  Part of "making it yours" is doing little mods yourself.   ;)  Good luck with the future mods....

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 03:59:28 PM »

Good job...  :2vrolijk_21:

What to do next  :nixweiss:

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:22:46 AM »

I had a Mustang seat on mine, was able to use the original driver's backrest. Great seat, but have switched to a C&C Fastback because I never ride 2 up. You'll like the Clearview. I have a 17 inch I use whenever I take off the fairing (never) and I put an 8 inch in my fairing. They're good shields.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.