Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shift arm  (Read 766 times)

T bone

• Junior CVO Member
shift arm
« on: September 21, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »

Hello everyone!

I have an o6 Ultra Classic CVO...there is considerable (between 3/8 and 1/2 inch) of play where the shift arm meets the input shaft. I am told by a friend that the issue is that the shift arm is made of alluminum, which over time, wears against the steel shaft's splines, which in turn means.....pulling the primary and clutch assembly to replace the shift arm. I am also told that there is a "quick fix", whereby a larger bolt and lock tite can be used ...but in the end, a re and re is required. Finally, I am told that there is a steel shift arm available from "Jims" which remedies the problem..anyone else in this boat?

Thanks! Larry

Nucleartec

• Junior CVO Member
  • Life is good!!
    • SC

• CVO1: 2005 Cherry SEEG
    • CVO2: 1997 Road King(non CVO)
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDX
Re: shift arm
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »

I think that is why Harley put the rear shifting arm on there so that you would hit it hard enough to wear the trans shaft out. If it is not too bad take the bolt out and clean it off and reinstall using lock tight and tighten the heck out of it. As a general rule, if you have to replace the arm then the shaft should last until the next replacement. I do not know about the arm from jims. I do know that my evo needed another arm so what I did was to take the bolt out and slid the arm off asfar as I could and cleaned it with brake cleaner and degreaser and put a little bit of liquid steel in the groves and put it back on and tigtened it. That was to keep from replacing the shaft. That was 1 1/2 years ago. It is still tight to this day.
2005 SEEG-Cherry
Dave makie 598 gear drive
HPI 55mm throttle body
Thundermax tuner
WO 578 bars
Rhineharts true duals
Hawgwired

T bone

• Junior CVO Member
Re: shift arm
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »

Thanks Nuke!...will give it a try. Thanks again.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 25 queries.