Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: California Emissions & Me  (Read 6060 times)

Kool Rider

• 07 FLHTRSE3 SERK
Re: California Emissions & Me
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 03:36:29 AM »

I just want to revive this topic.   

As of today (late 2009)  what does it take for a California resident to buy an out of state used motorcycle that was not built to be sold as new in California?

Is the 4,000 or 7,500 miles rule still alive and well?

What about adding the California specific parts?  Is it a possibility in 2009?

Thank you guys for your help and knowledge.   :)

Kool Rider
Southern Nevada

Make the best out of everyday because the future is unknown.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Re: California Emissions & Me
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 07:38:06 PM »

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California. If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle in California if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in your last state of military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of your vehicle's previous registration and that you were a resident of the other state when you acquired the vehicle
As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:
•   Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
•   Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
•   Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
•   Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

Here's the link to the DMV registration info: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/newvehicle.htm

Good luck. There is also the option of gettting a spare speedometer and having it 'adjusted' to over 7,500?  :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.