Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Report on Springer Trip out West  (Read 2740 times)

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
Report on Springer Trip out West
« on: July 27, 2008, 08:47:32 AM »

Just got back from 1400 miles on my 2008 Springer out West.  Shipped the bike into Rapid City, SD, and out of Jackson Hole, WY.  Did the "greatest hits" over a 9 day period in South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.  Springer ran like a champ.  Saw the Black Hills, Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Bighorn Mountains, Chief Joseph Highway, Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone and the Grand Teton range. I'd done all this on various car vacations and promised I'd go back on my bike. 

Used a sissy bar with a T-bag.  Worked great.  No problems of any kind.  Climate ranged from under 60 on top of Beartooth Pass to near 100 in high desert on way into Cody, WY. 

My Springer's got a set of Bub 7 2 into 2's, a 14" Windvest Windshield and a fixed Sissy Bar.  I also installed a Kuryakyn Stirrup Heel Rest on the right side footpeg. 

Was comfortable throughout. Longest single-day ride was 280 miles from Custer State Park to Devil's Tower to Buffalo, WY. 

Never really uncomfortable.  I expanded the T-Bag late in the ride and was glad for the support on my back, but could've lived without it.

Took the Skilled Rider Course before I went (I just got the bike last September).

Did the route on Harley Ride Planner and can email if anyone is interested.

No dings on the bike, but I killed a million bugs.

Rode it with my buddy who's got a Heritage Softail Classic.

I'll post a picture or two.

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

Re: Report on Springer Trip out West
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:48:55 AM »

Here's picture on the Beartooth Highway. 

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:33:56 AM »

nice one, who says u cant tour with a springer. I^m leavin 0n a 11 day 5 countries trip on thurs 31july

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »

Sounds like you had a great trip...and you did it with the stock seat and lived to tell the story. I'd say that you should be ready for the iron butt ride next. Your Springer looks great too!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »

Thanks for sharing the story and the pics......I am sure that you had a great time, that area is so beautiful!!

Orange Crush

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »

How do you like that windshield and does the wind, bugs, rain, and tiny rocks from cars in front of you etc go over your head? Also how tall are you? I was thinking about going with the 10" smoked windvest i am 5 7 and was wondering if it would block the above mentioned crap in the face.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »

I tour with the T bag as well no problem,but I am curious about the windshield as well. I have the large Softail HD shield but had to remove it due to turbulance. I literally can't see over 50 mph due to head shake,and blurred vision.It is too short and I believe it is at least 20" tall. I have a Tallbopy seat and I have a really tall torso.

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 07:44:14 AM »

Beautiful pics! Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing :2vrolijk_21:

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »

How do you like that windshield and does the wind, bugs, rain, and tiny rocks from cars in front of you etc go over your head? Also how tall are you? I was thinking about going with the 10" smoked windvest i am 5 7 and was wondering if it would block the above mentioned crap in the face.

OC,

I'm also about 5'7", and I have the 10 inch WindVest.  The best I can say is "better than nothing"--but not by much.  If I didn't have an Ultra Classic, I would already have switched to the 14 inch.  I remember when I rode without any windshield, and I always notice other people who don't use one...but I can't believe it.  How things change.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 04:06:11 PM »

but I killed a million bugs!

i find it strange that a screen kills a million bugs, but riding without a screen my jacket hardly catches any!

somebody need to invent large peel of strips for windshields like they have for helmet visors, would save a whole lot of time lceaning and bug-off spray

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 09:35:01 PM »

I've got the 14" Windvest.  It get some buffeting but not much.  I'm very pleased with it.  I don't have anything to compare it to, since this is my first Harley.  I've read posts on the site where people didn't get much relief with the Windvest, but I've got to say mine offers a lot of shielding from the wind.  I've ridden in rain, sometimes heavy, and was glad I had it. 

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.