Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: February riding for snowbirds???  (Read 638 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
February riding for snowbirds???
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:42:52 PM »

Hi All,

My wife and I know soon, very soon, we'll be singing...
"We gotta get out of this place, if it's the last thing we ever do".  :huepfenlol2:

Winter in southern Ontario has the tendency to do that to most riders, so we are planning to trailer our bikes south in February to do a little riding.  Last year we were able to take the month and rented a place in Lake Havasu, AZ and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Unfortunately this year we only have a couple of weeks, so the west is out of the question as the travel time in the truck is simply too long... We want to ride! Not drive.

We've done Florida a few times and want to try something new. We would appreciate your advise on where we should anchor ourselves and do some scenic rides out of.

When suggesting a location, please give us an idea of what the average February temperature is and whether or not we need to pack our rain gear on most days.

We could do a circle tour and end up after a few days on the road back where our truck is parked or simply stay in one place and head out everyday in a different direction???  :nixweiss:

Just looking for and would very much appreciate your advise.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  :2vrolijk_21:

Grizzly
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: February riding for snowbirds???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

It's a long ride but some of the best riding in South Texas is in February.  You do occasionally run into a two or three day cold snap, but rain is rare and the riding is excellent.  Big Bend, three Sisters and a host of other routes are excellent for the winter.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:52:27 AM »

I agree w/Diamondback. It's hard to beat south Texas during the winter months. I enjoy it cause it's just too hot during the summer to ride. Even the desert southwest would be good during the winter.

Diamondback:  I'll be in Fredircksburg this weekend home based at the Frontier Inn doing a ride w/friends. If your in the area, come on by.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »

I live in Sacramento and we deal with a lot of rain/cold during winter season. During this time of the year we head south along the coast into San Diego and at times east into the high desert and into Death Valley. Awesome riding and perfect weather for riding once you get to Fresno area south. But getting out of the Sacramento Valley and back is a little tricky. Two years ago on our way back from San Diego the weather reports said we had a clear shoot on a Saturday with rains developing Saturday evening and most of the remaining week. We darted north up I-5 and the rains hit us mid afternoon in Fresno and all the way home to Sacramento. That was total misery and the longest 5 hours of my life  :(

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »

Minnesota isn't far enough south, I can tell you that!
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »

:( :(

Headed to Bastrop this weekend.  Unfortunately the opposite direction.

:nervous:

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.