Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 FXSTSSE2 ANV RUNNING REAL HOT  (Read 3467 times)

SUPERCHARGED

2008 FXSTSSE2 ANV RUNNING REAL HOT
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »

JUST BOUGHT AN 08 FXSTSSE2 ANV, ONE OF THE LAST NEW ONES LEFT, BOUGHT FROM A DEALER ABOUT 100 MILES AWAY. DROVE IT HOME- ALL HIGHWAY. DIDN'T NOTICE THE HEAT PROBLEM. RAN IT AROUND TOWN AND THIS 110 IS BURNING HOT. TOOK IT TO MY LOCAL DEALER, THEY FLASHED THE ECM, TOOK IT OUT OF OVER-TEMP MODE, WHICH SHUT DOWN THE REAR CYLINDER. NOW I'M RUNNING ABOUT 265-285+ ON THE OIL TEMP. AFTER SITTING IDLE FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES BOTH FRONT AND REAR PIPES ARE RED HOT(GLOWING). THEY HAVE A PRODUCT CODE 0906 THAT IS SUSPOSED TO TAKE CARE OF IT, BUT I'M GUESSING ITS RUNNING WAAAAYYYY TO LEAN. WAS WONDERING IF OTHERS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST CURE. I'VE GOT AN 06 XL1200 THATS PUMPING 93 H.P. AND THE PIPES BOTH FRONT AND BACK ARE A LITE GOLDEN BROWN, THIS AFTER MANY MODS, TIPS, AND TRICKS. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THE 08 ONLY HAS 450 MILES ON IT AND THE AMBIENT TEMPS HERE ARE ONLY IN THE 70'S. I'M AFRAID OF BURNING THE TOP END OFF THIS MOTOR. ANY HELP OR INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2008 FXSTSSE2 ANV RUNNING REAL HOT
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:03:27 PM »

JUST BOUGHT AN 08 FXSTSSE2 ANV, ONE OF THE LAST NEW ONES LEFT, BOUGHT FROM A DEALER ABOUT 100 MILES AWAY. DROVE IT HOME- ALL HIGHWAY. DIDN'T NOTICE THE HEAT PROBLEM. RAN IT AROUND TOWN AND THIS 110 IS BURNING HOT. TOOK IT TO MY LOCAL DEALER, THEY FLASHED THE ECM, TOOK IT OUT OF OVER-TEMP MODE, WHICH SHUT DOWN THE REAR CYLINDER. NOW I'M RUNNING ABOUT 265-285+ ON THE OIL TEMP. AFTER SITTING IDLE FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES BOTH FRONT AND REAR PIPES ARE RED HOT(GLOWING). THEY HAVE A PRODUCT CODE 0906 THAT IS SUSPOSED TO TAKE CARE OF IT, BUT I'M GUESSING ITS RUNNING WAAAAYYYY TO LEAN. WAS WONDERING IF OTHERS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST CURE. I'VE GOT AN 06 XL1200 THATS PUMPING 93 H.P. AND THE PIPES BOTH FRONT AND BACK ARE A LITE GOLDEN BROWN, THIS AFTER MANY MODS, TIPS, AND TRICKS. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THE 08 ONLY HAS 450 MILES ON IT AND THE AMBIENT TEMPS HERE ARE ONLY IN THE 70'S. I'M AFRAID OF BURNING THE TOP END OFF THIS MOTOR. ANY HELP OR INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

The program 0906 won't do anything about the high temperatures, it is a response to the head gasket failures and automatic compression release failures on the '07 and early '08 versions of the 110 engine.  Different head and base gaskets, new ACR's, nothing that will reduce operating temperatures.

There are many threads on the site that talk about the heat issues as well as the various 110 issues.  Basically what the heat issue boils down to is you need to get the bike tuned to eliminate the lean condition and retarded ignition settings.  Once you do that, it will also greatly reduce the chances that you will have head gasket failures in the future. 

BTW, you need to leave the idle temperature management system operational (what you called the over-temp mode).  It's there to reduce temperatures by shutting down the fuel and spark to the rear cylinder when the head temps get to a certain level.  And it definitely is not a good idea to let an unmodified 110 sit at idle for any significant length of time, especially a brand new one. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SUPERCHARGED

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 11:18:48 PM »

thanks for the info. after going round and round with the dealer, the service manager tells me that 350 degrees for the syn 3 oil is still in range. new to this forum and finding out a great deal about the cvo's. they also said part of the update is to disable high temp shutdown mode. any other remedy/info on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 12:21:31 AM »

You can get a SERT or the latter equivalent from Harley...an electronic device to program the fuel management to a richer state. That's what I did. Engine runs much cooler now.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:13:25 AM »

thanks for the info. after going round and round with the dealer, the service manager tells me that 350 degrees for the syn 3 oil is still in range. new to this forum and finding out a great deal about the cvo's. they also said part of the update is to disable high temp shutdown mode. any other remedy/info on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated

As you can see from the copy of the service bulletin I attached to my previous post, there is nothing in the program about turning off the EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System).  I think your service manager is either misinformed or just blowing smoke.  And 350 degrees is sustainable with a good synthetic oil for short periods, but not as a regular operating characteristic.

Check for good dyno tuners in your area and then talk to a couple of them about your issue.  There is no "fix" from Harley.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:12 AM »

You need to change the exhaust and have a race tuner installed to get the air-fuel mixture right. The exhaust will allow the engine to breath better and the race tuner or something comparable will take care of the air-fuel mixture issue. Everybody with a 110 engine has went through this.....I just wish the HD  would just communicate with and tell customers that this is needed.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

SUPERCHARGED

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:31 PM »

hey thanks to all of you, that is exactly what i wanted to pursue. haven't worked with efi yet. what would be the best set up for this bike? power commander etc, new pipes or slip ons, baffles or no baffles? i would like it to be loud and strong. being a 110"se, it should be able to pump out some h.p. any info on the mods would be very helpful.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »

for your choice of efi programmer (power commander/sert/sest etc) speak to your dealer/tuner and go with which ever they are able to work with

for your exhaust option, that is purely your choice on 2/2 or 2/1, depends entirely on your choice of look as well as output, there are plenty of threads with picks in this springer section of our rides/mods

04se103

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »

SUPERCHARGED  Welcome to the site when you get a chance go by the new member board and introduce your self over there post some pictures of your bike.New Member Introduction

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 04:56:30 PM »

You need to change the exhaust and have a race tuner installed to get the air-fuel mixture right. The exhaust will allow the engine to breath better and the race tuner or something comparable will take care of the air-fuel mixture issue. Everybody with a 110 engine has went through this.....I just wish the HD  would just communicate with and tell customers that this is needed.

If they were to tell customers that, they would be paying some multimillion dollar fines and perhaps even have some folks sitting in jail.  It's a violation of Federal law for them to tamper with the emission system, or to encourage others to do so.  That's why folks like us have to pass the word along.

Jerry

Cyphers

• '08 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: '08 FXSTSSE2 (Springer)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 03:25:04 AM »

I wonder if your map from the factory is bad.  Just for reference, my 08 fxstsse2 was running about 235 or so in traffic on a hot day.  I added the HD oil cooler (fairly small in size) and that has brought temps down about 10-15 degrees.  Everything else (pipes, etc.) is stock.

SUPERCHARGED

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »

took it in for the 500 mile service. they said they re-flashed the ecm. it is still out of the overtemp mode. talked to the dyno guy and said he prefers the power commander, only because that's what he's used to. anyone had any luck with the thunder max with auto tune? also he said cycle shack slip ons wood help. seems like all the other threads lean toward v&h not sure what to put on.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »

I went with the SERT because it is a HD product and the only one my HD dealer sells and warranties. My bike runs great and does not over heat. On the other hand I live in Florida and all but park the bike during the summer. Just too damn hot to enjoy the ride. In fact I just started riding it again. Pretty much opposite the northern crowd riding season.

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 25 queries.