Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Screamin Eagle High Compression Pistons  (Read 8511 times)

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
Screamin Eagle High Compression Pistons
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »

I will be taking delivery on a FLHXSE and wish to boost my overall torque and HP.  My initial thoughts are to increase the compression with the Screamin Eagle Pro Twin CAM High Compression Pistons PN 22502-07 and put a pair of Vance & Hines High Output Slip Ons on.  I realize the heat issues surrounding the 110CI motors in the previous years and look to tune it with the HD pro race tuner in hope to increase the AFR to help with cooling.  Has anyone used these pistons and if so, what was your experience?  Any ideas regarding replacement head pipes without a cat?  Happy to be a part of the CVO nation and look forward to any comments.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: Screamin Eagle High Compression Pistons
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:16:54 PM »

you sure are trying to get alot with one post  :2vrolijk_21:, all good
I would start easy and then increase as you go.
many of us have cut the cat out and changed baffles, some theory of leaving the cat in and removing baffle all  together, just attach an end flange to LOOK like it hase a baffle.
Many have done the Race Tuner, and many have done the TTS Mastertune (which is what I recommend)
then upgrading the cam. Andrews 54 has been used and so has the S&S 570, amung others.
I have no cat, Fullsac 2in baffles, mastertune, and it runs great, temps are down.
Oh ya, get rid of that SYN3
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »

Doing those pistons alone will do you no good whatsoever, except to make the bike run even hotter. Before considering the 10.5:1's, you must first determine the overall characteristics of what you're trying to achieve. You would use those pistons with a high performance cam, performance head work, a larger TB, free-flowing A/C and exhaust, and of course a new engine management program. But installing them alone would cause more problems than good. Talk to a GOOD engine builder before deciding on your mods. A good engine job matches up ALL components. It's ALWAYS been about the right "combination", and always will be! Good luck! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »

Doing those pistons alone will do you no good whatsoever, except to make the bike run even hotter. Before considering the 10.5:1's, you must first determine the overall characteristics of what you're trying to achieve. You would use those pistons with a high performance cam, performance head work, a larger TB, free-flowing A/C and exhaust, and of course a new engine management program. But installing them alone would cause more problems than good. Talk to a GOOD engine builder before deciding on your mods. A good engine job matches up ALL components. It's ALWAYS been about the right "combination", and always will be! Good luck! ;)

Hey Hoist

THIS CHIT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE   :):) as someone has said in the past......
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »

Hey Hoist

THIS CHIT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE   :):) as someone has said in the past......

HeHe!!! I think that's what I was trying to say Dick!!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »

FLHXSE and wish to boost my overall torque and HP.  My initial thoughts are to increase the compression with the Screamin Eagle Pro Twin CAM High Compression Pistons PN 22502-07

Nope not going to work with the stock motor and cams.
It would ping itself to death
Many good combination out there to make these 110 motors run with mild ported heads and a cam change, good pipe and tune.

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »

What kind of power and tq numbers would you expect to see with the above recommendations?

I would chose a cam to provide the best midrange torque in my case as apposed to high end HP. It's not a Jap bike after all.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 03:49:21 AM »

I'm looking for good low to mid range torque and HP in the low 90's range while trying to control the heat issues.  On my 2003 softail I have 95 big bore kit, s/s 585 cams and supertrapp 2 into 1 tuneable exhaust with SERT.  Torque suffers in this range but plently of highway passing ability.  When I get back from deployment I'll post the dyno on that set up.  Just want the 110 to perform better than it does out of the box while keeping the torque up in low to mid range.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

tattoo

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 07:07:55 AM »

We are getting good power and torque gains out of the Zippers redshift .575 cams. We are just using the cams with the stock 110" heads and pistons, along with a good tune .

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »

What numbers are you getting and do you have any dyno sheets to show the curves?

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »

We are getting good power and torque gains out of the Zippers redshift .575 cams. We are just using the cams with the stock 110" heads and pistons, along with a good tune .

With exhaust changes, if any, do you have on that set-up?  Still running with a CAT?  I'd love to see the dyno numbers too.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

tattoo

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 06:50:16 AM »

The bikes we have done had aftermarket exhaust, true duuals, slip ons etc.... We use all kinds of cams tnen our Zippers rep told us to try these and they did work well.
http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=814&prod=2186

We lost a lot of our files a few months back But I did find one...
This is a 2007 110" ultra with Rinehart slip ons power commander red shift .575 cams.
Run 040. (red ) is with stock cams Run 077. (blue) is with the cams

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 06:11:46 PM by tattoo »

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 10:06:43 AM »

Tattoo - Are you sure that sheet is from a 110"? 85HP/101TQ look more like bone stock numbers for the newer 110" motors.  I know that the numbers are better on '09-up motors due to improvements to head pipe design, but I would still expect much more from a 110 with the mods you have described. Members on this forum are routinely seeing TQ in the 115 range and HP around 100 with exhaust, mild cam, and good tune.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

tattoo

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »

that is from a 2007 110" with stock header pipe with slip ons, PC-3. The only engine mods was the cams. I couldnt get the other sheets due to crashing of our hard drive this summer.   we have had better luck with other 110" builds with those cams, but as its always my luck I cant get the Dyno sheets. :(  The next one we do I will make sure I get it posted. I did find this one in my files from my home computer, this is a 2007 FLHX with a 110" kit with a larger throttlebody,Red shift.575 cams,rinehart true duals, Thunder max, High flow air cleaner. we just swaped out cams and spun it back up on the dyno after he drove it a 100 miles, We never did any tuning just did some runs before and after. Im not a big fan of his exhaust set up.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:23:52 PM by tattoo »

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.