Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing stock baffles for more sound  (Read 1882 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Removing stock baffles for more sound
« on: October 28, 2009, 07:25:35 PM »

Will removing the stock baffles make my bike sound better. Want to do the fullsac upgrade but rite now isn't a good time for me to spend the $$$$. I know i need to loose the cat as well. Bike is a 2009 SERG. Appreciate any opinions on what to do.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Mlpklr

• CVO1: 2008 105th anniversary Edition Screamin' Eagle Road King
Re: Removing stock baffles for more sound
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »

I've got an 08' SERK with the 2" Fullsac baffles and nothing further. The difference is impressive, best $180 dollars I've ever spent. I don't run wide open throttle right now because of running lean without a tuner, but I've checked the plugs every 100 miles or so since installing them and found no problem. If you can scrape up the $180 bucks, you won't be dissappointed. You've got an 09' with the cat in a different location than mine (my cats came out with the stock baffles), but if you're looking for a good starting point for cheap give it a try. I caught holy hell from my buddies for the way mine sounded stock, now they bitch about hearing their radio's. I'm also on a budget, but until I can gather the funds for the tuner, intake, and crossover eliminator, 2" baffles and removing the cats serves me well.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »

Will removing the stock baffles make my bike sound better. Want to do the fullsac upgrade but rite now isn't a good time for me to spend the $$$$. I know i need to loose the cat as well. Bike is a 2009 SERG. Appreciate any opinions on what to do.
don't remove the baffles unless you're going to put something else in there like fullsacs. you won't have any back pressure resulting in no low end power + you'll have an unbalanced setup without the tune. you can get the fullsacs and do it yourself for about 119.00, thats as far as you should untill your ready to tune it, then kill the cat.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »

Well just ordered the Fullsac 2.25" baffles, tts tuner & cables... Also loosing the cat as well...How hard is it to change out the baffles..??
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:30:23 PM »

Well just ordered the Fullsac 2.25" baffles, tts tuner & cables... Also loosing the cat as well...How hard is it to change out the baffles..??

Not very hard, you may want to check out his website, or give him a call..........

Steve George
Owner Fullsac Performance
928-505-2912
www.fullsac.com
HOGMIKE

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 03:48:46 AM »

don't remove the baffles unless you're going to put something else in there like fullsacs. you won't have any back pressure resulting in no low end power + you'll have an unbalanced setup without the tune. you can get the fullsacs and do it yourself for about 119.00, thats as far as you should untill your ready to tune it, then kill the cat.

How do the fullsacs create a backpressure ?
I thought that these are "open" cores ?
Is it because of the "how" the holes are drilled into these fullsacs?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 07:45:20 AM »

yes, these holes or cuts in the baffles create turbulance, enough so that it gives backpressure. Also, the size of the exit hole has alot to do with it (hope you dont say that saturday night) hence the 1.75", 2", or 2.25" baffles
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Techie0212

• 2008 CUSE3 Ultra Classic
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CUSE3 / Prog 905 / Fulsac 2.25 / TTS MasterTune / Arlen Ness A/C
    • CVO2: 2003 Road King Standard
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 03:51:10 PM »

Before doing the Fulsac, I did drill (3) holes in the baffle plate from the rear. Taking nothing out except the Exhaust tip cover. Used a metal bit and drilled like a mad-man ... sounded louder than the stock . . .  For the cost of the Fulsacs from Steve, his Stage One options were better. I too did it gradually, and recently did the TTS and Arlen Ness AC ( Use to have the K&N filter) ...

NE1 want to buy the K&N filter and Xeid? Its a moderate $100 together with S&H.

Aloha,
Techie
Techie0212
Air Force Reserves 0-5 20yrs (Retired)

2008 CUSE3 / Prog 905 / Fulsac 2.25 / TTS MasterTune /Arlen Ness A/C

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.