Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overtightened Screws when assembled?  (Read 992 times)

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Scorcher
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 - Titanium
    • CVO3: 2009 FLSTFSE3
Overtightened Screws when assembled?
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:55:30 PM »

Recently, my LH bag lid fell off in my hand as I opened it.   The small screws that fasten the latch to the metal backing plate had mysteriously became loose, and subsequently fell off causing the lid to come apart from the latch....   To replace the screws I had to remove the nylon holding strap where I found both screws had been overtightend and caused both plastic "bosses" to split....   I checked the RH lid and found the same thing, both screw "bosses" broken length wise.   In my opinion these cracks will cause the eventual failure of the straps (nothing to hold the lids in place) and therefore both lids should be replaced under warranty.   Before I had a chance to schedule a trip to the dealer (100 miles away)....  the LH side tailight came loose...  guess what!?!?    The top screw that attaches the tailight assembly filler panel has broken away from what appears to be where it was overtightend.    The plastic around where the screw would thread in has totally broken away...   

I have been assuming that this will be a warranty issue under "manufacturer's defects" but would I be wrong?   I already need to take it in for the rear wheel, and while I've been reading about the gap issue with the seats.....   My seat actually came completely off in the front and now only stays on when I'm sitting on it.     I hope the dealer stands behind my bike and resolves the issues, but this is my first time dealing with any kind of warranty issues.... 

Any suggestions or advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated...   
V&H Power Duals, CFR's - basically stock

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
Re: Overtightened Screws when assembled?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »

if i may ask...what is the problem with the rear wheel ?

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »

My SERG was part of a rear wheel recall where there could be issues with cracking or structual failure.   I don't believe the recall went to everyone, only bikes produced during a specific timeframe.   If you didn't get a notice, there probably isn't a reason to be concerned.   If you're worried, you should be able to call your dealer, give them your VIN# and they can tell you if your particular SERG is part of the recall.    Hope that helps.

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:05:09 PM »

Any suggestions / advice?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:19:02 PM »

The only suggestion I can make is to take the bike to the dealer and go over each issue (take a written list so you don't get sidetracked and forget anything), and have them check any other items you haven't already checked yourself.  Broken out plastic from overtightened fasteners should definitely be warrantable.  Be prepared, however, in case your dealership is one of those that try to lay stuff off on you (what did you do, tighten all the screws until you cracked everything?), or tries to BS you into believing the cracked plastic is "normal" and won't hurt anything.  Hopefully your dealer is one of the good guys and will take care of these things without a hassle.  If not, be prepared to call H-D and file a complaint.  The number should be in your owner's manual.  Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »

Thanks GRC.   Most would assume I'd make a list, but....  That is a dayum good idea, due to the fact that I am easily side-tracked if someone starts argueing with me.   And yes, the dealership already eluded to the fact / implied that I had broke the plastic myself and was trying to pull something over on them.   I guess only time will tell.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.