Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved Fork Springs  (Read 1738 times)

Tbaxter

Improved Fork Springs
« on: October 26, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »

I am going to upgrade the suspension on my 2007 SERK. I note that Works has a set of springs for the forks at a reasonable cost.  Has anyone tried these or another product?  Obviously, with non-adjustable forks there is only so much we can do, but I am willing to give this small change a try if it helps.  Because I have a Buell as my sport bike, I do not not want to spend the money for new forks. (Love the Buell, too, and mourn, but understand, its demise). 

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
Re: Improved Fork Springs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »

Racetech with the gold emulators are a reasonable upgrade.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »

Racetech with the gold emulators are a reasonable upgrade.

i have an 03 flhrsei2 and was thinking of going this route.  Can I expect a much smoother ride?
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »

The emulators like springs will firm up the ride. I have the Ricor emulators, I really like them, no spring change with these. I feel that the RK front end was too mushy, after installing the Ricor there is a world of differences. They list for around $300, but I got them as a group buy on this site for $99 off. I was going to get the Racetech gold emulators before I before I bought the Ricor. I have used Progressive Suspension springs in other bikes, and liked them, but the re-valving of the emulators is to me a better improvement.

Craig

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »

The emulators like springs will firm up the ride. I have the Ricor emulators, I really like them, no spring change with these. I feel that the RK front end was too mushy, after installing the Ricor there is a world of differences. They list for around $300, but I got them as a group buy on this site for $99 off. I was going to get the Racetech gold emulators before I before I bought the Ricor. I have used Progressive Suspension springs in other bikes, and liked them, but the re-valving of the emulators is to me a better improvement.

Craig
Craig, Viewing the Ricor site, their instructions state to remove the oil and springs, then replace oil, drop in emulator and springs. So my understanding is that this is not a re-valving as with the racetech but rather an addition of another valve. Am I correct on this? I am planning on doing the Ricore or Racetech Gold with new springs this winter.  Roger

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »

Craig, Viewing the Ricor site, their instructions state to remove the oil and springs, then replace oil, drop in emulator and springs. So my understanding is that this is not a re-valving as with the racetech but rather an addition of another valve. Am I correct on this? I am planning on doing the Ricore or Racetech Gold with new springs this winter.  Roger

The existing valves must be removed. Not all models (The SEEG's for one) have the valves to begin with.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »

The existing valves must be removed. Not all models (The SEEG's for one) have the valves to begin with.

Like Jim said, if there are existing valves in your forks they are removed, the new valves take their place. The Ricor only use 5W fork oil, I was sceptical of this being heavy enough, but after installing them, I think it works well. I had a lot of dive in my front end, I thought is was mushy, the new valves have taken most of the dive out, it feels firmer but not harsh, front end stays planted in the turns.

Craig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »

Just saw a new offering from Progressive that might be of interest.  Complete drop in replacement, including valves and springs, $340 MSRP. 

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/monotube/index.html

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:08 AM »

Just saw a new offering from Progressive that might be of interest.  Complete drop in replacement, including valves and springs, $340 MSRP. 

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/monotube/index.html

Jerry

Interesting, they list the same part# for FLHT and FLHR but not a seperate part for the 04-05 SEEG front end. These have shorter fork tubes than the FLHT and HR.

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 09:44:09 AM »

Race Tech has a kit also with springs and valves, I saw the progressive kit in Bagger mag this month. I talked to the Techs at Ricor before installing, they suggested with their valving to use the original springs first, then if you wanted more spring rate then go to a progressive spring. I don't think I'd add springs to the Ricor, the other's who knows. I guess it would depending on the valve size being used. It was fun trying to get the cap back on with the valve adding about an additional inch to the spring height.

Craig

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »

I must have missed something in their instructions, seemed kind of odd to me that the original valves would be left in. Not that it matters to me, I was going to pull the forks and drop them off to you (Jim) and have the RaceTech kit installed anyway.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »

I must have missed something in their instructions, seemed kind of odd to me that the original valves would be left in. Not that it matters to me, I was going to pull the forks and drop them off to you (Jim) and have the RaceTech kit installed anyway.

:2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.