Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: closed loop or open loop at idle  (Read 3206 times)

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CUSE-DARK
closed loop or open loop at idle
« on: October 28, 2009, 09:53:59 AM »

I'm wondering what your TTS users are doing?  Closed loop or open loop at idle?  I'm fine tuning my map and noticed that my AFR table is open loop at 20kPa but I run 30kPa at idle.

bob2002

• Retired
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: closed loop or open loop at idle
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:06:57 PM »

I'm open loop at 20k & 30k,750,1000 & 1250 RPM
2012 Ultra Limited,V&H VO2 Intake,Wood 222 Cams,Cobra Power Port Header,CVO Mufflers,TTS Tuner
AMSOIL DEALER SINCE 1985

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 06:47:45 PM »

Open loop and a little on the rich side: 20-40 MAP and up to 1250RPM
Helps cool things down at idle, and nice transition to "normal" closed loop when you open the throttle.
HOGMIKE

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

Thanks for the inputs.  I was thinking 13:1 at 750-1000-1250 @ 30kPa.  I was going to leave 40kPa closed loop and set the CLBs in the low 600's since the bike will be moving at that point.  Seems to be a better solution than to leave the bike closed loop at idle and set the CLBs at 798.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 12:16:58 AM »

No need to be that rich.
14/1 is fine at idle and low loads which can be accomplished in closed loop with the Closed Loop Bias set up to 798. 13/1 is a waste of fuel and starts to be not real good for the motor (carbon) over time.

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:26:29 AM »

No need to be that rich.
14/1 is fine at idle and low loads which can be accomplished in closed loop with the Closed Loop Bias set up to 798. 13/1 is a waste of fuel and starts to be not real good for the motor (carbon) over time.

I looked this table up from Bosch's Automotive Handbook 2nd Ed Pg 436
Operating Mode

Recommended AFR

Cold Start (first 30 sec)
11.5-12.5

Idle
12.8-13.5

Part Throttle Cruise
13.0-14.0

Wide Open Throttle
12.5-12.8 (values down to 11.5 may be used to reduce detonation)

These are without respect to emissions control.

I don't think 13:1 is too bad at idle.  I would never do this with a CAT in the exhaust.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:48:20 AM »

general thought is closed loop 2k -4k rpm, open outside those parameters
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 10:25:32 AM »

http://www.mastertune.net/files/Tuning%20Files/Manuals/MasterTune_Tuning_Guide-v122.pdf

TTS Mastertune written by Steve Cole is state of the art and works with the OEM Delphi ECU, as did the SERT (the predecessor) which he wrote and was licensed for distribution by HD.
Look at the stock AFR table for a closed loop MT7 file
When the closed loop area indicated in red is biased with the CLB setting a 14/1 can be achieved. In cases with high compression motors the closed loop area can be adjusted by just setting the AFR value at anything other than 14.6. Once the VEs are fixed these AFRs will come in pretty close to what the user selects. The factory calibrations FOR AFR, not VEs, are not too bad and only need minor tweaking for most builds. They will yield a clean running cool running motor.
Those values cited by Chris Schroeder via an old edition of a Bosch manual will get you a 30mpg bike that carbons up and runs poorly. All of the guys that have gone through the war with the DTT Wego system can attest to the poor documentation and support for that product. The internet supports that product better than the originator, sorry to say.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:48:18 PM by Deweysheads »

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:25:17 PM »

While I would love to take all the credit for Mastertune there is a team here that makes it all come together. I'm just a part of the team and do my part.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:37:04 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Steve
Can you comment on AFRs

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »

http://www.mastertune.net/files/Tuning%20Files/Manuals/MasterTune_Tuning_Guide-v122.pdf

TTS Mastertune written by Steve Cole is state of the art and works with the OEM Delphi ECU, as it did with the SERT which he wrote and was licensed for distribution by HD.
Look at the stock AFR table for a closed loop MT7 file
When the closed loop area indicated in red is biased with the CLB setting a 14/1 can be achieved. In cases with high compression motors the closed loop area can be adjusted by just setting the AFR value at anything other than 14.6. Once the VEs are fixed these AFRs will come in pretty close to what the user selects. The factory calibrations FOR AFR, not VEs, are not too bad and only need minor tweaking for most builds. They will yield a clean running cool running motor.
Those values cited by Chris Schroeder via an old edition of a Bosch manual will get you a 30mpg bike that carbons up and runs poorly. All of the guys that have gone through the war with the DTT Wego system can attest to the poor documentation and support for that product. The internet supports that product better than the originator, sorry to say.

Thanks, good info.  I'm enamored with the TTS product and find it enjoyable to have these knobs at my disposal.  I called Steve yesterday and he had some good comments on closed versus open loop idle control.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.