Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exhaust gaskets  (Read 2230 times)

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
Exhaust gaskets
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:31:24 AM »

The screaming eagle catalog shows a set of gaskets that do not compress into the port. Anyone have these on there bike? Thoughts?
TJ

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Exhaust gaskets
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »

Just use the stock exhaust gasket doughnuts as they seal up a lot better.  You only want to do this once.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »

The SE gaskets are a real PIA to get to seal properly. Use the stock gasket, squish it in there by mounting the headpipe, pull the pipe off again and trim all the excess that blocks the exhaust port and remount the head pipe. That's always worked for me after trying "performance" exhaust gaskets before. This was the easiest way to get the proper seal at the head that I've found. You won't get any better performance as long as you're not blocking the port at all. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »

The screaming eagle catalog shows a set of gaskets that do not compress into the port. Anyone have these on there bike? Thoughts?

Use the gasket that is designed for your pipes.  The mounting flanges are not all the same.  If you have stock headers, use stock tapered gaskets.  If you have aftermarket headers, use the gaskets recommended by the manufacturer of the header...   :2vrolijk_21:

There is nothing to be gained by using SE or aftermarket header gaskets on a stock header...  It's just a gasket... :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »

I have had the pipes off my 05 and 10 with the stock gaskets and there was never any exhaust gasket in the port.  They were nice and round in their port.  Make sure you install your headpipes just as the manual states and use a torque wrench.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »

I have had the pipes off my 05 and 10 with the stock gaskets and there was never any exhaust gasket in the port.  They were nice and round in their port.  Make sure you install your headpipes just as the manual states and use a torque wrench.
thx
TJ

tcb62

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 08:36:05 AM »

I used the SE gaskets when I installed the V&H power duals.  Not a problem.  Just a note, the original gaskets were compressed past the seating surface into the exhaust flow path. 
TCB62

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 09:02:45 AM »

I used the SE gaskets when I installed the V&H power duals.  Not a problem.  Just a note, the original gaskets were compressed past the seating surface into the exhaust flow path. 

The SE gaskets are difficult to maintain position and get a good seal with if you're not extremely careful (and maybe lucky). The stock gaskets crush, and might impede on the exhaust port as you said. I normally install the exhaust with the stock gasket and let it crush, then remove it and trim the part impeding on the exhaust port, then reinstall the headpipe. A lil extra effort, but you wind up with a good performance gasket, AND with a good seal that way too. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Vosselman (NL - Europe)

• Junior CVO Member
    • Vosselman Performance
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »

We recommend using the cometic seals that don;t look like a se or stock gasket.
It looks like a soft aluminium/silver colored ring that only compresses in thickness and will not get in the airflow.

Cometic C9540
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:56:19 AM by Vosselman (NL - Europe) »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »

They have always worked well for me, the Cometics are the way to go. On a 110 there will be port intrusion with the stock gasket.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.