Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How often should you change your brake fluid  (Read 6600 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
How often should you change your brake fluid
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »

I was just reading the fine print in my service manual.  It said to change the brake fluid (dot 4) every 2 years. 
Then I read an article about brake fluid showing how quickly it absorbs water and the article pointed out that people should be changing brake fluid way more often than they do.
Last night I ran into a friend who worked at a local Chevy dealership as service manager for the past 15 years and asked him what his opinion was.  He said he saw alot of 10 to 20 year old cars and trucks on the road that had never had their brake fluid changed, and they had no problems.
What do you folks think?  Should I follow the 2 year rule, or "etaboutit"?  :nixweiss:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: How often should you change your brake fluid
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »

I change mine every 2 years.  About 3 years ago, I was racing my Porsche with old bake fluid and at the end of the front straight (130 MPH or so) I had no brakes becasue the moisture in the brake fluid boiled.  The good news is that I was able to make the turn without crashing, but since then I change the fluid in the bikes and the Porsche every 2 years, period.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 11:58:23 AM »

Mine has been changed because I put new calipers and brake lines front and rear when I did the new wheels...I was very careful to use brand new brake fluid, did not leave the container open, and closed the system up as quickly as possible.  It is a closed system, so depending on how often you open it up will determine how much moisture gets in.  Lots of variables, but brake fluid is cheap, so it's probably a good idea to flush the system with new fluid every couple of years or so.  I've seen a couple of bikes lose their rear brake when riding the twisties, using a trailing brake in the turns, and the fluid boiling...as soon as it cooled off, brakes came back.  Changing it is cheap insurance...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:52:40 PM »

Dot 3 and Dot 4 fluid will retain 3-4% of their weight in water

Change every year to 2 years

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:40:20 PM »

Change it every 2 years.  It's cheap money and not many parts of the bike are as important as the braking system!!  Do you REALLY want to take a chance?

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »

Definately change every two years. I am an auto tech and we suggest to all of our customers to replace in their vehicles every two years or 24K. Brake fluid is a moisture "magnet". Moisture in your fluid will cause a no brake situation when fluid gets hot. Be extremely carefull to not get any brake fluid on your paint.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:18:28 PM »

Change every two to three years, I have purchased some used bikes that have had terrible looking fluid and weird braking, changed the fluid and got factory results.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:26:15 PM »

Dang.  A one-page thread that's two years old.........and I still haven't changed my brake (or clutch) fluid.   My bad, I'll do better right away.  :drink: har.  8) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:49:53 AM »

I bought my '05 FLHTCSE2 in June with 12000 miles and not a scratch on her.  I changed the all the fluids immediately (although the dealer I bought it at said that they had already done that).  You wouldn't believe how bad the brake & clutch fluids looked.  They looked more like coffee than anything else.  Also, it looked as though the primary fluid was never changed at all either.  I'm a strong believer in KEEPING THOSE FLUIDS CHANGED!!!

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 11:14:20 AM »

Dang.  A one-page thread that's two years old.........and I still haven't changed my brake (or clutch) fluid.   My bad, I'll do better right away.  :drink: har.  8) spyder

I was reading an article on brake fluid and trying to remember what type fluid was in my 04. I took the single caliper off the 04 and installed it on the 02....had DOT 4

In the article, written by engineer who works with brakes, it recommends changing every year if you haven't changed the fluid at all. The moisture in the fluid creates corrosion and breaks down the system from the inside out. After changing twice, you can get on a 2 year regiment.

Funny thing, I took Kathy's car in this morning to have the tires rotated, and the mechanic tried to upsale me on changing the brake fluid. Said it needed to be done immediately.....guess he forgot to check the records...he did it last year. It does look crappy even after 1 year.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »

I change my fluid every couple of years  it get dirty also change the air in my tires it gets stale......... :o :o :o

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »

I'd be more concerned with the clutch fluid due to the heat the slave cylinder sees at the tranny.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 08:57:48 PM »

I'd be more concerned with the clutch fluid due to the heat the slave cylinder sees at the tranny.
Out with the old......In with the new.  ;D That's my new year's resolution, I guess. :2vrolijk_21:  har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 21 queries.