Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Head Gaskets do they all leak sooner or later ???  (Read 1011 times)

Faststeel

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
Head Gaskets do they all leak sooner or later ???
« on: January 23, 2010, 07:26:33 AM »

Just bought a 2007 FXDSE with 14000 miles and could not find out a lot of info. about the bike. But my dealer ran the VIN and it said that my bike has not had the upgrade done to the head gaskets. But it looks like I can still get it done on HD's dime if its done by July when the offer expires on the recall. My feeling is to get done before summer and hope it doesn't ever leak after that. Your views and opinions greatly appreciated.  :nixweiss:Thanks Dan

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Head Gaskets do they all leak sooner or later ???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:59:28 AM »

Tough call between don't mess with it if it's not broken and that gnawing feeling that if you don't it's going to go in September.  If it were mine I think I'd plan to actually fix it right if it happens later (cylinders, true and weld the crank, etc.), and leave it alone now unless something else happens that makes you have the top end apart while it's still under warranty.  They don't all leak, just most.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »

14000 miles most would have leaked by 5000miles!

it must have had a very gentle owner running the bike in a cold climate?

I would get the product improvement done on Moco`s dime!
as long as you trust the mechs at your dealership to do a good job, if your unsure ask your mates which dealer they would recommend to do the work

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »

Any upgrade is about as good as the person doing the work, if you have a competent Mechanic at your dealership go for it, I had the upgrade done on my 07 Ultra which also included new heads and compression releases, the bike ran flawlessly for another 10,000 mi when I swapped it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »

There are good arguments for both positions, leave it alone or get the update done, but the most important point is the one concerning the actual person doing the work.  Having supposedly superior parts installed by an incompetent or just lazy "tech" can easily leave you with a much worse problem.  So my advice would be, first research the WHO part of the equation.  If you trust your dealership, and they will commit to you to have the real tech do the work and not the guy who was the wash boy 3 months ago, go for it.  Otherwise, just ride the bike and if it fails take the opportunity to do the entire engine the way it should have been to start with.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

maddog110

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »

Well said ! Its the  WHO  not just the where.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.