Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Insurance for Mods  (Read 1904 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Insurance for Mods
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 05:40:20 AM »

Some scattered insurance thoughts...

An insurance policy is only as good as the adjuster that gets assigned to your claim.  Even with the best policy, a lousy adjuster can make for quite a roller coaster ride at the time of a claim.  For the most part, that's a factor that is difficult or almost impossible to anticipate.

Keep your receipts for anything that you add to your bike and for all of your riding gear.  Take some photos of your bike periodically as you continue to add accessories to your bike.  You'll be very glad you did, should your bike ever get stolen.

A few companies actually have upper limits on what will be paid out on a motorcycle claim.  I ran into one of them when I was shopping for insurance at my first renewal date on my CVO.  I can't even remember which company it was, but if my bike had been stolen, there would not have been enough to cover the loss.  Read the policy before buying bike insurance.  There are many differences in coverage from company to company...many more than on an auto policy.

Understand how your particular policy treats accessories and then determine whether you need additional coverage.  I added an additional $8000 in coverage beyond the $3000 that came with the policy on my Road King.  It was not very expensive, but provides lots of peace of mind.  When I added the coverage, Progressive told me that they needed to send someone out to photograph and verify the add-ons to my bike, but they never did any such thing.  I prepared a detailed list with part numbers and prices, and then I called my agent to ask why noone came out and my agent's office had no idea what I was talking about.  However, there are some companies out there that will have you bring your bike/car to the office for a quick inspection and photos when you increase coverage or lower your deductible.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 25 queries.