Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Navigation system with 2010 SE Ultra?  (Read 7791 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Navigation system with 2010 SE Ultra?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 05:17:01 AM »

Egultrac,

I understand you think the HD Nav system is "fine", to use your words. My point is that its "not fine" and many other HD owners agree. In fact, you're the only owner, ever, to suggest it's "fine". In reality, its so bad you're actually one of the few, if not the only owner, I've heard on this forum that has actually used the HK system which speaks volumes about it's horrendous design.

It's good to hear that you find the system meets your needs. For many others they simply ignore the system which is a real waste when buying a $45000 motorcycle. I think most owners have the right to feel ripped-off for such a poorly designed nav system when compared to other alternatives HD could be using.

You seem to be having difficulty reading my posts as you reference my views as "critical of everything Harley". You really must be mistaking me for someone else since of my hundreds of posts this is the only feature offered by Harley that I have ever been critical of.

Harley needs to modernize its bikes and listen to its customers. I would hope you would agree. Otherwise the company that both you and I enjoy buying from, may be in peril. You need to be aware that their 1st Qtr sales (4th qtr 2009) announced today are down 40%...yes 40%. Global shipments of bikes are down 53%. They are shutting their test centers in Alabama and Florida. They have sold off Buell and MV Augusta. They're looking for a buyer for Varese (Italian bikes).

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-22/harley-posts-first-quarterly-loss-since-1993-on-sales-update2-.html

These are not good developments and if guys like you and me are going to have the opportunity to enjoy riding new Harleys in the future, they had better start updating their bikes with the latest technology (such as modern GPS) or unfortunately we may see the company we both buy from .....disappear.

I'm another that thinks the stock HK Nav System works fine.  I hated it at first, but then I got to understanding how it worked, and I had no problems with it at all.  I didn't like the fact that I had to get off the bike, find the CD, set up a route, and then put the CD back away again if I wanted to listen to CD's.  I did end up buying the Garmin 550 for that reason.  Now that I have the Garmin, it would be difficult to revert back, since the Garmin is infinitely easier to program.  I can't say that it does a better job of getting me from point A to point B, but if there's a point C somewhere in between that you want to find, it means getting the CD out again and setting up a new point B and then later programming a new point C.  Again, for the basic A to B, the HK system works fine, but it's just a pain to have to use it, and not being able to use your CD player while keeping the NAV fully functional is absurd. 

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 08:30:09 PM »

That's what I call a "Harley-ism". The MoCo only seems to get it after about 5 years of owner's whining and complaining.

On the bright side, even with a CD in, you can still see the directional compass and know you're riding north, south, east or west. D      
[/quote :coolblue:That and it keeps the clock set to satellite time
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »

Now that I don't use the CD player, since I use the mp3 in the Garmin, I can leave the NAV CD in and switch back and forth from one NAV system to the other. No, I don't really do that, but it is cool to be able to tell people that I have 2 navigation systems on my bike.

aktung

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »

You could buy one of the new serialized 999 Ultra se in black.It comes with a zumo 660 from the factory.500.00 MORE THAN THE OTHER SE BIKES.
IN THE WIND IN MONTGOMERY,RIDIN IT LIKE I STOLE IT,GHOST RIDER.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 11:00:49 PM »

Is that what the secret new bike is?  I suggested a black CVO Ultra to the MOCO sometime in the 1st half of 2009.  I wonder if they were listening to me.  They could put me on TV like the new Windows commercials.  It was my idea.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 12:06:31 AM »

Is that what the secret new bike is?  I suggested a black CVO Ultra to the MOCO sometime in the 1st half of 2009.  I wonder if they were listening to me.  They could put me on TV like the new Windows commercials.  It was my idea.

Just announced today...a black Ultra CVO with a Garmin 660 "entertainment system" mounted so the rider and passenger can view it. Now that was fast, maybe Willie does watch this site.  ;D  Doc
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:44:25 AM by grandpadoc »

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 09:13:33 AM »

With the new Garmin Nav System, just maybe the MOCO will start going in a NEW DIRECTION!! (pun intended)  They seem to be directionless lately. :soapbox:
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2010, 09:59:41 AM »

With the new Garmin Nav System, just maybe the MOCO will start going in a NEW DIRECTION!! (pun intended)  They seem to be directionless lately. :soapbox:

...suddenly its 2006 again  :bananarock:  :apple: :pineapple: :drummer: :beerchug:   Doc

aktung

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 11:24:55 PM »

OK,I understand most of you dont like the HD uNIT BUT i HATE THE LOOK OF THE BIG SCREEN SITTING ON MY BARS SO I PLAN TO USE IT. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO USE IT.DO YOU TAKE THE DISC OUT ONCE THE MAPS ARE MEMORIZED OR HOW DOES THAT WORK? THANKS, MACK
IN THE WIND IN MONTGOMERY,RIDIN IT LIKE I STOLE IT,GHOST RIDER.

Ultra2010

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »

OK,I understand most of you dont like the HD uNIT BUT i HATE THE LOOK OF THE BIG SCREEN SITTING ON MY BARS SO I PLAN TO USE IT. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO USE IT.DO YOU TAKE THE DISC OUT ONCE THE MAPS ARE MEMORIZED OR HOW DOES THAT WORK? THANKS, MACK

I don't like the bar mount either.  Going to mount it like the earlier photo shows on the dash.  My 660 came with NO instructions for installing, just a bunch of wires and parts I have no idea what to do with, guess I'm showing my age!   :nixweiss: 

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »

The HK GPS unit on the SEUC is good for point to point travel, finding a gas station, and for the most part, finding a dealership.  You can program a route in and then take the CD out if you desire, but if you deviate from the route or want to change it, you'll have to put the disc back in to let it get the data.  It only stores in local memory the original route and nothing more.   I just leave the disc in my CD player as I never listen to CD's, I almost exclusively use XM.  I live in the East Coast so I leave the Eastern US disc in, and it works adequately.  It's definitely not in the league of a Zumo (or any other stand alone GPS for that matter), but it is a pretty good very basic, get where you need to get with no stops in between, GPS unit.  You should have gotten a separate operator's manual for the the GPS features of the HK radio.  I highly recommend going through that at least once to really understand what the unit can do.  It's definitely not as intuitive as the stand alone Garmins and Magellans are....

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 04:12:23 PM »

Just announced today...a black Ultra CVO with a Garmin 660 "entertainment system" mounted so the rider and passenger can view it. Now that was fast, maybe Willie does watch this site.  ;D  Doc
If they are listenin'... Maybe I could talk you into takin the p.o.s. module out and swappin it for the 660 since they finally realized that the HK with the 4 yr old "most current maps" really does suck.  :2vrolijk_21:
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.