Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter lockup?  (Read 939 times)

oakmtnbody

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 SE Fatboy Silver Mist
    • CVO2: 2006 Street Glide Black
    • CVO3: 2009 SE Road Glide orange
Starter lockup?
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »

2009 SERG 5000 miles going for a ride this weekend cranked it up moved it out of the garage suited up and tried to refire it and it sounded like a kickback so hit it again and starter made a wierd clank and lights dimmed.Tried to roll down the drive in 2nd,3rd and 4th and it just slide the rr tire,locked up.Battery is strong stays on tender but like I said locked up, put it in 5th and push it and it just slides.Dealer has it but said may be a few days before they check it out.Bike has TTS,Power duels,Fullsac baffles and Steves Map and runs great ,ran it 3000 miles since installed.Lots of smart guys on here just thought I might get some ideas.Sounded like the starter tried to engage the ring gear and something broke.Got the bike in late 2008 tried to search for this particular problem on the site but had no luck.Does the custom map affect the commpression release?Just guessing.Thanks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:52:36 PM by oakmtnbody »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Starter lockup?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »

This might help   :nixweiss:  : 

I'm on my third starter.  Had that kick back sound (very ugly) and difficulty starting on occasion.  Finally found dealer had never "activated" the Automatic Compression Releases (ACR's).  When you turn on the ignition, you should hear a click.  That sound is the ACR's opening.  If you hit the starter and the bike does not fire completely, you should turn ignition off and on again to reopen the ACR's. 

Have been able to push start mine but only with a passenger on the bike.  Other wise you'll just skid the rear tire.  Good luck. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:48:43 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

oakmtnbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:00:39 PM »

Thanks.

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 05:07:37 PM »

A tip for 110's with auto comp. Once you push the button, don't let up till it lights. Starter will survive...things get ugly if you get a kick back when you release the button early.  :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »

It's also important to realize that when you put a tune/tuner in your 110 that the default setting for the ACR's is "not enabled" in the software.  Hopefully you or your tuner will know to "enable" it on your 110.

oakmtnbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »

FYI it ended up being the starter broke a tooth off the ring gear when I tried to start the engine.The dealer did not know why but ordered a new starter and a new clutch basket already loaded with the new disc and plates.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.