Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Heads removed; Old Gaskets Questions  (Read 4668 times)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: Heads removed; Old Gaskets Questions
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 09:53:40 AM »

I cleaned up the old gasket material today that was stuck to the cyl. I purchased a few feet of 1" thick foam and cut it into circles a little larger than the bore. Squeezed them down to size and pushed them down into the bore to help prevent old gasket contaminates from getting into the bore/pistons. With the foam just below the top surface I used a razor blade and carefully scraped off as much of the old gasket I could, stopping often and using the shop vac to suck up the small pieces of old gasket material. Once I felt I did all I could with the razor blade I put a little lacquer thinner on a rag and scrubbed the surface until it was shiny clean and free of any old gasket. Again using the shop vac to to insure no contaminates are laying around. Once completed removed the foam from the bore and one more time with the shop vac; Job done, just waiting for the heads and new Cometic gasket to arrive.
 :orange: :orange: :orange:

Thanks for all your input  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
My next question is...Should I use HD gaskets or is there a better product out there, if so what is it and where can I obtain it.

Hey Sid

Here's a link with some good tech info on installing the Cometics   

Brian can ramble on a bit, OK a lot, but if you can make it to the end you will pick up some key points to a proper install of the Cometic head gaskets.

Never had a problem with the base O rings leaking after being disturbed during head removal on a low milage motor, they are still soft.
If it had 10K or more I wouldn't feel so lucky if the barrels had been rocked around with old O rings. Bringing it to TDC before pulling the heads really helps.
Rocker boxes and cover gask, always replace after scrubbing the surfaces to perfection. These will bite you in the ass if not perfectly clean.
Cam cover, primary cover, pushrod O rings. Reused these several times on my own bike, no problems. When the customers paying, I replace everything.

Steve George
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »

Steve;
 Thanks for the Great Info (and Parts)

CVO Gang;
Having Head work done by Dewey and installing Woods TW408-44 Cams. Was able to remove the heads using my 04 Service Manual. Went to the nearest Stealer today to pick up a few things, like a shop manual for my 09 SERG3, Cam Locking Tool and Gaskets, They said they had the gaskets but the other two items they would have to order (whats new,  thats why I didn't buy this bike from them).

So now I'm going to call my dealer and place a phone order; Here's what I think I need/want.
Service Manual for SERG3 #####-##???
Cam Locking Tool 94076-09
Push Rod Tool 94086-09
Rocker Base Gasket #####-##???
Rocker Box Cover Gasket #####-##???
Push Rod Base Gasket #####-##???
I have both an Inch LB & Foot LB tork wrench
Is there anything else I am going to need? Since I have a couple weeks before the heads come back from Dewey, Lock Tite? Parabolic Sealer as mentioned in U-Tube Video above? Also wondering if I'm going to have to go with adjustable pushrods or if maybe the SE perfect fit -.030 push rods will work (since Dewey is taking .030 off the bottom of the heads. Never done it myself before but do have a friend that has and usually can read a well written service manual and figure it out (there goes the warranty  ;D). So if you guys could hook me up with some info and some part numbers I'd greatly appreciate any info and advice before I tackle this assembly......I'll be asking for more info when I get ready to install the TTS Master Tune.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:28:46 PM by SID8D2 »
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 11:55:21 PM »

Parabolic Sealer as mentioned in U-Tube Video above?

Not sure what service video you've seen but if you walk in to a parts store asking for parabolic sealer the counter guy will probably look at you funny.  What you're after is anaerobic sealer; gasket in a tube.  It's a product that cures in the absence of air (after parts are buttoned up around it). 

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 12:56:54 AM »

Not sure what service video you've seen but if you walk in to a parts store asking for parabolic sealer the counter guy will probably look at you funny.  What you're after is anaerobic sealer; gasket in a tube.  It's a product that cures in the absence of air (after parts are buttoned up around it). 

Yea, thats what I meant :oops:.....How about the other stuff Twolanerider??? I understand how it works, sorta like lock tite once the air is taken away.

Thanks for the correction :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 01:32:17 AM »

Replace all gaskets anytime you tear the motor down, stuff good clean rags in the cylinders or while you are that far, bore it out and put in forged pistons.  Seems a shame to get it down so far and not go all the way.  Scrape with razor blade to remove old gasket material.  Good luck.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.