Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FLASHING "CAGE" THIRD BRAKE LIGHT?  (Read 1062 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
FLASHING "CAGE" THIRD BRAKE LIGHT?
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »

I was wondering if it's legal for our bikes to have the lights sequentially flash or pulsate, would it also be legal to hook up a module for the third brake light in a car or truck?

I have an extra module and I was thinking or wiring it into my pickup upper cab mounted third brake light.

What your thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: FLASHING "CAGE" THIRD BRAKE LIGHT?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »

I don't know if the modulators are legal (probably not), but I have used the modulators on every Harley I have owned.  Can't hurt being hooked up to the 3rd brake light on a car/truck either.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »

Best thing to do for equipment  legalities on vehicles is to check with your local state police or state inspection stations. Many state police or department of motor vehicle websites have the laws on equipment also.
It can vary from state to state on what is allowed.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »

A buddy of mine was pulled over here in Ca. last year for his flashing taillight and was about to receive a ticket for "modification of oem lighting" (or something of the sorts) He  was not ticketed after mentioning that either one of his two stepsons, whom are both in law inforcement in that county, would just sign it off. It pissed the officer off enough that if he said if he saw that light on the bike again, he would ticket him anyway.

Ultra2010

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 07:39:04 PM »

The bright ass lights I looked at do that, I specifically asked if they were legal and was told yes.  They have been selling them for a long time.  I'm going for it no matter what, better a ticket than a coffin.

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »

The bright ass lights I looked at do that, I specifically asked if they were legal and was told yes.  They have been selling them for a long time.  I'm going for it no matter what, better a ticket than a coffin.
Ditto

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 08:32:25 PM »

Most new lights like the bright ass have a switching capability for different pulsing/standard setup. If one was getting a fix it ticket my guess is you could switch to non pulse and have the same officer sign it off.  :)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »

Federal motor vehicle safety standards actually address headlight modulators (FMVSS 108), and if they meet the standards set forth they are legal in all 50 states.  However, I haven't been able to find anything in the standard concerning brake light modulators.  As we all know, if it isn't specified in a Federal standard the individual states can make their own rules.  The best advice is still to check with your state police.

One factor that seems to make a difference in some jurisdictions is the amount of "flashing" involved.  Lights that rapidly flash three to five times and then stay on continuously don't seem to be a big problem, but lights that flash constantly while the brakes are applied tend to cause the local constabulary to object.  My suggestion, stick with the initial flash and then constant mode, not a constant flash or repeating flash that tends to irritate those behind you while sitting in traffic.  If the authorities object, no big deal to just disconnect the module (use insulated spade or bullet terminals for connections).  Most such equipment violations don't result in points on your license, or even a fine if you show you "corrected" the problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.