Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Harley Buyout  (Read 3564 times)

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: Harley Buyout
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 03:32:06 PM »

Private equity firms never buy out anything to run it.  That's not their mode of operation.  They take over a company, break it up and sell off the pieces for a profit...that's all they're in the business for.  If KKR takes over the MoCo, it could be the end of an era...they could care less about brand or being an American icon...that all comes second to making a profit.

:devil:
That's true Charlie, but if they are looking at it there is one consideration.  The most valuable thing that Harley owns is their brand.  I'm not sure they could get enough for the other assets to make it worth their while at what would shoot up to over $30/share if this comes to fruition.  My guess is that it's rumor and if not, they have some other plan besides a straight breakup.  IMHO.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr 

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »

If KKR gets HD, we could have another ongoing Indian saga.  God forbid.  Everyone know they have made some bad decisions and taken advantage of customers based on a reputation.  But they don't deserve this to happen to them.
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »

ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Harley being taken over?
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »

Why no discussion about the alledged takeover by Kolhberg Kravis Roberts ( a New York based equity firm ), that is supposedly buying HD? Stocks jumped up yesterday, any thoughts?
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Harley being taken over?
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »

Why no discussion about the alledged takeover by Kolhberg Kravis Roberts ( a New York based equity firm ), that is supposedly buying HD? Stocks jumped up yesterday, any thoughts?
There is and your thread/post has been merged with it. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »

If stock hits anything over $35 again, I know someone that will unloading quite a few to ease the pain.  :drink: :2vrolijk_21: MOCO is ripe for a take-over, rather than a turn-around in this economy and no doubt some of the family members are looking forward to retiring. Sad situation.  :-\
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Ultra2010

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 01:43:36 AM »

Geez, ain't nothing safe anymore. Even the thought of that sux.   >:( >:(

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 08:22:02 AM »

Who Hearts Harley?                                    http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/03/18/who-hearts-harley.aspx

By Rich Smith (TMF Ditty)
March 18, 2010

In recent months, we've seen first Citigroup (NYSE: C) call the bottom on Harley-Davidson (NYSE: HOG) shares, then Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS) argue the opposite. As for me, I staked out a position somewhere in between these two clashing titans of Wall Street.
 Conceding that the fourth-quarter sales report was worse than expected, and that Citi was wrong about Harley turning the corner, I argued that Harley's significant efforts to slash inventories, cut shipments, and max out free cash flow demonstrated that it's at least "leaning into the curve." Crunching the numbers, I concluded: "This train's been a long time coming, but ... If Harley's finally getting serious about its inventory issues, now seems like a good time to climb aboard."

And all of a sudden, it seems a lot of people agree with me.

Who hearts Harley?
Harley shares spiked on Tuesday in response to unconfirmed reports that somebody wants to buy the company. And not just a few shares. The whole company. Reuters was reporting that rumors were swirling concerning a possible buyout, with private equity player Kohlberg Kravis Roberts named as Prime Suspect.

Not everyone bought the story, of course. In fact, Barron's dashed cold water on these hopes, quoting a pair of analysts who echoed my own observations about Harley's progress. Noting that Harley has already satisfied the usual reasons for a private equity takeover (bringing in motivated management to cut costs and streamline operations), the experts argue there's little logic in Harley now handing over its accomplishments to an opportunistic acquirer on the cheap. Not with the stock selling for just 15.5 times forward earnings. Not when anyone with more than a hamster's memory span can remember that before the recession struck, Harley shares regularly fetched multiples of 20 times and up.

Speculating 'bout speculation
So what sparked the rumors? According to Barron's, it's possible that Harley has been reaching out to would be acquirers of its troubled finance unit, HDFS, for example. Whether that's true, I haven't a clue -- but I sure hope it is, because ...

Foolish takeaway
Big manufacturing companies like Caterpillar (NYSE: CAT) and Boeing (NYSE: BA) have demonstrated how useful having a captive finance arm can be to boosting product sales in tough economic times. On the flip side, though, we've seen at General Electric (NYSE: GE) and Textron (NYSE: TXT) -- and at Harley -- how one mismanaged finance arm can ruin a great manufacturing business.

As an investor, I'd love to see Harley get quit of HDFS -- and give itself a chance to show the world how profitable it can be all on its own. My bet: It would make for quite the thrill-ride.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.