Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who wants a "FREE" ride?  (Read 1579 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Who wants a "FREE" ride?
« on: March 17, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »

If anyone is planning on a trip to Milwaukee from the east and wants to avoid the Chicago traffic, the Lake Express is the only way to go... And this year for motorcycles it's a "FREE" ride!  :2vrolijk_21:

Of course Westerners traveling east to Michigan, Ontario and beyond can also make use of the free ride as well.

Apparently this offer is good for travel during May, June, September & October... Call for details.

http://www.lake-express.com/about/news_article.aspx?id=119

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:08:22 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Who wants a "FREE" ride?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:34:44 PM »

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the heads up. I've traveled a hundred miles to avoid Chicago in the past and thought it worth it.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:58 PM »

I like how they are trying to help out in this economy. BIKER FRIENDLY  :2vrolijk_21:
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:47:39 AM »

I have made at least a dozen voyages on the Lake Express Ferry. As anyone who has taken their bike along knows, they do provide plenty of ratchet tie-down straps free of charge. BUT, you strap your bike down yourself. So it would behoove you to insure that your neighbors Tying their bikes down next to yours KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOIN'. The lake is not always calm and you'd hate to go below after the trip and find your neighbors bike tipped over onto your ride. Help your neighbor if they need it. MANY people have never strapped a bike down as they are first time travelers.
There are enough "D" rings in the floor so everyone can do a four point tie down. Parking is tight and you can leave your bike on the "jiffy" stand for tie down.

Another courtesy as a CVO owner is to disable your alarm so that the motion detector doesn't set it off.

Seating in the cabin area is first come first serve so have your significant other take care of grabbing a couple of seats while you secure your bike. If you are traveling alone, by the time you've secured your bike you may be SOL as far as getting a seat. Oh well, there's a good selection of hot and cold sandwiches at the snack bar, grab an adult beverage-(beer) or soft drink if you prefer, and head topside to enjoy the view.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:13:38 AM »

I have made at least a dozen voyages on the Lake Express Ferry. As anyone who has taken their bike along knows, they do provide plenty of ratchet tie-down straps free of charge. BUT, you strap your bike down yourself. So it would behoove you to insure that your neighbors Tying their bikes down next to yours KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOIN'. The lake is not always calm and you'd hate to go below after the trip and find your neighbors bike tipped over onto your ride. Help your neighbor if they need it. MANY people have never strapped a bike down as they are first time travelers.
There are enough "D" rings in the floor so everyone can do a four point tie down. Parking is tight and you can leave your bike on the "jiffy" stand for tie down.

Another courtesy as a CVO owner is to disable your alarm so that the motion detector doesn't set it off.

Seating in the cabin area is first come first serve so have your significant other take care of grabbing a couple of seats while you secure your bike. If you are traveling alone, by the time you've secured your bike you may be SOL as far as getting a seat. Oh well, there's a good selection of hot and cold sandwiches at the snack bar, grab an adult beverage-(beer) or soft drink if you prefer, and head topside to enjoy the view.

Did I hear beer. :confused5:    :drink:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Ultra2010

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:01 AM »

I ride to Northwest Indiana from Seattle, taking I-90, the Chicago traffic is, as many of you know, the worst riding experience out there.  I drop down to 80 in Des Moines then drop a little farther south at Joliet getting into Indiana at about Remington, then 50 or so miles north to Valparaiso.  Adds some miles but as others have said, it's miles and time VERY well spent.  When I'm heading back to Seattle, I leave Valpo at about 4:30am, hit 80/90 and "run for my life" for about an hour.  After Joilet, it lightens up.  Seems every time I'm east bound I end up going through there after 12 noon and traffic is just to crazy and FAST. 

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »

Hey Bobaroni, thanks for the advice. I'd like to try it this summer. I've never tied down a bike without a center wheel chock. How do you do it with the jiffy stand? And how much pressure do you put on it? Without tipping it over?  The alarm won't sound if you leave your FOB in it---since it has no where to go and no one can steal it, what's the harm in that?  Just wondering.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »

Back when then 100th Anniv.was going on, I rode up along Lakeshore and found it very biker friendly and people lined the streets and waved and I can not stand heavy traffic on a M/C. Just crank up the tunes and forget where your at.
Make no mistake Chi Town traffic sucks,as wellas any other major city, except NYC......
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »

Back when then 100th Anniv.was going on, I rode up along Lakeshore and found it very biker friendly and people lined the streets and waved and I can not stand heavy traffic on a M/C. Just crank up the tunes and forget where your at.
Make no mistake Chi Town traffic sucks,as wellas any other major city, except NYC......

To each their own... I'll take NYC anyday over the Chicago area for riding a bike.  Actually I don't mind The Big Apple at all.

A few years back while on a trip from Atlantic City to Americade I convinced my wife (a real trooper) that she would be fine riding into Times Square for lunch at the Harley-Davidson Cafe.  It was an amazing ride, but when we got there we discovered the restaurant was closed 6 months earlier!

I'll never forget the sight of my wife on her bike surrounded by a sea of yellow cabs!  Unfortunately couldn't get the camera out quick enough prior to the green light.  She'll also never forget the great experience.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »

Hey Bobaroni, thanks for the advice. I'd like to try it this summer. I've never tied down a bike without a center wheel chock. How do you do it with the jiffy stand? And how much pressure do you put on it? Without tipping it over?  The alarm won't sound if you leave your FOB in it---since it has no where to go and no one can steal it, what's the harm in that?  Just wondering.

I have seen it two ways. 

The first way was to snug it down on the stand side using the engine guard. Then tighten the other side enough so that there is no slack.

The second way is snug down both sides equally as if you were trailering it.

I did it the first way on the kickstand last year on the Badger.  They have grates you put your bike on and it is very easy to get your S hooks in place.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »

It must be the anal retentive where I don't leave the FOB on the bike. You are absolutely correct though regarding the alarm. It won't go off with the FOB on the bike.
 As far as the straps go, I just snug them at all four corners. It's not like you'll be on the high seas so that is good enough.

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.