Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine turning over slow  (Read 6598 times)

Joecool

Engine turning over slow
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:45:48 PM »

I have a 06 SEUltra that I "ve only had a few months . The weather is just now getting to where I have had a chance to ride it a little. I've noticed that after I ride in for a while and stop to get gas or something else it turns over alot slower than it does when its cold. Acts like its the compression or something keeping it from turning fast. It always starts but it kinda worries me.  I know this sounds like a weak battery but it seems fine. Just wondering if this is normal for these 103's or do i probably have a weak battery.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Engine turning over slow
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:22 PM »

I have a 06 SEUltra that I "ve only had a few months . The weather is just now getting to where I have had a chance to ride it a little. I've noticed that after I ride in for a while and stop to get gas or something else it turns over alot slower than it does when its cold. Acts like its the compression or something keeping it from turning fast. It always starts but it kinda worries me.  I know this sounds like a weak battery but it seems fine. Just wondering if this is normal for these 103's or do i probably have a weak battery.

High resistance in the starting circuit will cause that problem, as will a marginal battery.  Check both ends of the positive battery cable, at the starter and the battery, and make sure the connections are squeaky clean and tight.  Look for corrosion also where the terminals are attached to the actual cable, where it can be hidden by the insulation.  Also make certain the grounds are all clean and tight.  If everything checks out OK and you still have a problem, have your battery load tested.  It's very possible you have the original battery, and it could be getting tired if it wasn't well maintained and kept fully charged.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »

Do you know if it's ever had any engine work done and/or tuning attempted?  If so some timing settings can make them behave in a harder-to-start-when-hot fashion as could increases in the engine's compression.

If none of that is going on the hard-to-start-when-hot problem might be a weak battery.  But it also sounds every bit as much if not more how a weak starter would behave also.  Always do the simple and cheap/free troubleshooting first.  Even if you don't think that's the problem.  So first lift off the seat and make sure the battery cable connections are clean and tight.  Not just at the battery ends of the cables either.  If that's all ok then it's time to deeper or pay someone to go deeper for you.

Given the costs of labor troubleshooting anymore I've also got to admit that just because of the bike's age I'd strongly consider just buying a new battery for it.  I replace mine every fourth year.  Just because they often fail rather suddenly and a new battery every fourth year is cheap insurance against hearing the damn thing go click click click outside of some diner closing up for the evening two hours from home.  So if it's nothing else obvious and given the age of the bike a new battery is easy to change, might just fix it and simply isn't a bad idea.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »

hah, Jerry and I were typing at the same time.  If we agree it's gotta be dangerous :huepfenlol2: .

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »

Just to try the obvious......did you have it on a battery tender all winter????  If not..then the battery may be the first choice.

Joecool

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I have had a battery tender on it since I got it in Dec. I will check the cables.
Thanks Joecool

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I have had a battery tender on it since I got it in Dec. I will check the cables.
Thanks Joecool
Something that I just became aware of is that the batteries we're getting are a couple of years old before we buy them.  There's a 'code' on the side of the battery that you can match up to the chart most shops have on the wall that'll tell you when it was made.  The last two I've purchased have been a couple of years old when purchased.  That means that when we're getting 5 years out of our batteries...they're really 7 years instead.  That's a bunch longer in my book.....even keeping 'em hot on a Tender.  And they're costing a bunch more now also.  :soapbox: :furious2: :end: aaaargh.   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »

Something that I just became aware of is that the batteries we're getting are a couple of years old before we buy them.  There's a 'code' on the side of the battery that you can match up to the chart most shops have on the wall that'll tell you when it was made.  The last two I've purchased have been a couple of years old when purchased.  That means that when we're getting 5 years out of our batteries...they're really 7 years instead.  That's a bunch longer in my book.....even keeping 'em hot on a Tender.  And they're costing a bunch more now also.  :soapbox: :furious2: :end: aaaargh.   spyder

That's something I always look at Spyder.  Two years for a battery served wet is a long time.  I'd not have bought it.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 11:01:39 PM »

That's something I always look at Spyder.  Two years for a battery served wet is a long time.  I'd not have bought it.
That's what I was thinking.  Supply/Demand deal.....I'll just have to plan better.   :deal2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Joecool

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 09:03:19 AM »

Does anyone know how to read the code on a battery.

jimsmith94

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »

This page is for car batteries, but maybe motorcycle batteries are the same: http://www.allpar.com/fix/batteries.html

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »

There is normally an alpha numberic code either hot stamped into the top edge of the battery, or on a sticker attached to the battery, or in many cases both.  Various companies use slightly different versions and may have more info in that stamp than just the month and year, but all that I'm familiar with use a letter for the month (A=January, etc., skip the 'I' so that M=December)and a single digit for the year (0 through 9).  The letter may come first, or the digit, depending on the manufacturer.

As an example, you may find a stamp like this:   9M 321XL     That would be a December of 09 build date.

When purchasing a wet cell battery, try to find one that is no more than two or three months old.  Batteries self discharge even when just sitting on the shelf in a box, and if allowed to sit for any significant length of time in a discharged state, that battery will permanently lose some capacity.  It's a good idea to carry a voltmeter with you when making a purchase, and check the open circuit voltage.  A fully charged battery should be 12.8 volts minimum across the terminals.  Always fully charge a new battery before installing it in a vehicle.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.