Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Service Mode for Security System  (Read 6562 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Service Mode for Security System
« on: April 09, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »

Does anyone know how to put an Alarm system into service mode ?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Service Mode for Security System
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:10:11 PM »

What model year?  If it's the new buttonless version, and you want to disconnect the battery for any reason, just have the fob near the bike and turn the ignition switch to the run position before disconnecting the power (maxi-fuse or battery cable).  That will keep the alarm from being tripped.  If you're looking for a true storage mode like the older systems had, that should be in the owner's manual.  It was automatic on the old systems after a certain number of days without any ignition switch input, and could be set at 20, 60, 90, or infinite.  Infinite meant it would never go into storage mode, and the default setting was 20 days.  All storage mode did was to power down the entire alarm system so it didn't continue to draw current from the battery.

Jerry
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:26:33 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 06:06:20 PM »

were trying to shut it off so the bike can be ridden with out the key fob. Its a 2010 . The bike lives next to a cell tower, paging tower, communication tower , combined. The alarm is driving him nuts. Cant start  sometimes, most of the time, and he has to shutoff the alarm with the buttons.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »

were trying to shut it off so the bike can be ridden with out the key fob. Its a 2010 . The bike lives next to a cell tower, paging tower, communication tower , combined. The alarm is driving him nuts. Cant start  sometimes, most of the time, and he has to shutoff the alarm with the buttons.

H-D needs to fix it.  Has he contacted H-D directly?  If not, he should.  As I stated in another thread concerning this issue, it is their responsibility to make their product work in the real world, and the real world contains plenty of RF signals that could possibly interfere.  If the auto folks can make their systems work next to that communications tower, then there is no reason H-D can't make their system do the same.  I assume he isn't having that same issue with his cars or trucks, right?

As for just eliminating the security system, I remember Hoist trying to find a way to do that on his SERK.  The last I remember seeing anything about his quest, I don't think he found a way to do it.  You might try going to the cvogarage site and PM'ing him (I don't think he hangs out here these days).

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »

it's not the bike.
it's something on the tower that's causing interference with the bikes alarm.
go to the tower and look for the name of the company that owns the tower, call them and complain that something on the tower is causing interference with your alarm.
they will send someone to investigate the problem, and determine which customer on the tower is causing the interference and contact them to fix the problem.
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:08:39 AM »

it's not the bike.
it's something on the tower that's causing interference with the bikes alarm.
go to the tower and look for the name of the company that owns the tower, call them and complain that something on the tower is causing interference with your alarm.
they will send someone to investigate the problem, and determine which customer on the tower is causing the interference and contact them to fix the problem.

Yes, that is a good idea.  But it doesn't change the fact that the H-D system is supposed to be shielded from this sort of interference.  If that tower was causing all the cars and trucks in the area to also suffer the same failures, I might buy the idea that something on that tower is totally screwed up.  Since there is no mention of anyone else in the area having this problem, I still believe I would also pursue resolution from H-D.  After all, if their system is that poorly shielded, what makes you believe you won't encounter other places where the same thing happens?  There are other's who have reported the same sort of issues with the security system, so it isn't just this tower.

Jerry

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »

every case is a seperate and individual issue.
maybe whatever is causing the problem is close enough to the freq that the HD system is sensitive to, that it only affects the HD system.
the customers on the tower MUST maintain the interference created by their equipment by federal law, one of them could have a problem and not be aware of it because no one has complained yet, and it's not affecting other carriers on the tower or their own equipment.
I'm not saying that something on the tower is totally screwed up, but it may be off just enough to cause a problem with the HD alarm.

I don't care how much "shielding" you try a design into any system, if it's in an area that has high RF interference(like being right next to RF equipment that's generating excessive interference) it's going to have problems.
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »

With the way this threads goes, aren't you sorry you started it in the first place ;-) ??
Anyway, putting the alarm into transport mode will not help you, as the iginition will still be blocked.
The service mode can only be activated by the dealer. Most Fly & Ride bikes are set up this way, and it takes only a minute. With this no fob is needed.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.