Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vibration when stopping  (Read 1239 times)

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
vibration when stopping
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:59:10 AM »

Does anyone have a vibration when stopping? I admit (old habit) I gear down when stopping. The vibration seems to coming from the engine.
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
Re: vibration when stopping
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »

You wouldn't happen to have ABS brakes do you?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 02:22:19 PM by pkl »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 02:51:30 PM »

I believe he is talking about when the bike comes back down close to idle... the motor seems to vibrate like the EITMS kicked in which also vibrates the handlebars.

Well it is isn't the EITMS, I turned mine off to see if it would stop. I think it's just a rubber mounted motor that likes to shake. Mine has done this since I purchased it even after tuning and pipe mods.

If you think it is the EITMS, roll back the throttle and hold it for a few seconds and it will turn it off.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »

The EITMS doesn't kick in with the bike moving, or at anything higher than idle, or with the clutch engaged while in gear, so that's not it.

First, try braking with the clutch lever pulled in.  If the vibration is gone, it's not the brakes.  Then try coasting down from about 2500 rpm in 3rd gear, without touching the brakes, and note at what rpm the vibration becomes evident.  I'll bet it's in the 1200 to 2000 rpm range.  If so, it's nothing new or specific to the later model bikes, it's been around for ages.  Tune the engine for good cylinder balance and smoothness at 1000-2500 rpm and zero to 10% throttle, and you'll find most of that roughness gone.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:31:40 PM »

The EITMS doesn't kick in with the bike moving, or at anything higher than idle, or with the clutch engaged while in gear, so that's not it.

First, try braking with the clutch lever pulled in.  If the vibration is gone, it's not the brakes.  Then try coasting down from about 2500 rpm in 3rd gear, without touching the brakes, and note at what rpm the vibration becomes evident.  I'll bet it's in the 1200 to 2000 rpm range.  If so, it's nothing new or specific to the later model bikes, it's been around for ages.  Tune the engine for good cylinder balance and smoothness at 1000-2500 rpm and zero to 10% throttle, and you'll find most of that roughness gone.  
Thanks I will try that

Jerry
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

slamr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 Sunset Orange / Sunset Black Fade
    • CVO2: 2010 Concord FLHXSE - Sold
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:25:02 PM »

Coming from a soft tail, I also felt there was excessive vibration.  I believe it's just the way the motor is mounted etc. on the touring models.

CVOBros2

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE SESG Tequila Sunrise
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:02 AM »

I'd have to agree with slamr.  I came from a Softail CrossBones with it's balanced V-Twin it didn't vibrate at all.  In fact, the way a Cross Bones looks you would think it would vibrate and I actually wanted some of those "good vibrations."   :bananarock:  I have noticed my friends that ride Dynas and the touring bikes(including my SESG) have these good vibrations.   :huepfenjump3: It's smooth as glass while riding but at a stop sign you can tell your bike is running.  I like it.   :coolblue: :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »

Don't forget to consider the old potential problems also.  Check the front motor mount while looking at everything else.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.