Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: restoring mid-controls FXR4-question on shift lever sleeve o-rings  (Read 2063 times)

dmdrider03

Starting the teardown on my FXR4 tomorrow to restore the mid controls. I have all the parts and can't find any pertinent info on where the o-rings should be placed on the shift shaft sleeve. If you look at the parts manual it shows the o-rings(11117) on each end of the plastic sleeve. If you insert the shifter through the sleeve and place the rings on each end it doesn't seem the logical place? Do they fit in the grooves on the sleeve? There is no reference in the service manual.
Also - the sleeve locator plate (34561-84) looks like it would sit in one of the grooves and fasten to the inner primary/ looks like it would fit in the closest groove to the inner primary?

Thanks in advance

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: restoring mid-controls FXR4-question on shift lever sleeve o-rings
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:06:05 AM »

Starting the teardown on my FXR4 tomorrow to restore the mid controls. I have all the parts and can't find any pertinent info on where the o-rings should be placed on the shift shaft sleeve. If you look at the parts manual it shows the o-rings(11117) on each end of the plastic sleeve. If you insert the shifter through the sleeve and place the rings on each end it doesn't seem the logical place? Do they fit in the grooves on the sleeve? There is no reference in the service manual.
Also - the sleeve locator plate (34561-84) looks like it would sit in one of the grooves and fasten to the inner primary/ looks like it would fit in the closest groove to the inner primary?

Thanks in advance

When I removed I ran into the outer O ring, fits in a groove.  It was tough replacing the cover to get it past the o ring.  Use some grease and push on the cover squarely.  Would assume the inner is the same.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

dmdrider03

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »

Have the inner primary off and currently cleaning, installing new seals etc.
Another question - the sleeve locator plate I mentioned previous. (Horshoe shaped retainer to hold the sleeve in place) - which hole on the inner primary does it attach to? The parts manual doesn't make sense re: 3/4 inch bolt used / doesn't match up with the inner case bolts?
There are two holes that could be used - one that goes through to the engine case and the second into the inner primary. Would like to get it correct and any help or pics would be greatly appreciated!!

(I'm hoping none of this is related to the pat numbers I've been finding that are mismatched  e.g. inner primary in the FXR4 parts manual is 60728-99/ on mine is 60678-94  / outer on mine is 60685-99 and manual says 60665-99 -- ?)
Don't know the history of this FXR4 but it doesn't appear to have been wrecked at anytime?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »

I would think that it would utilize the non engine hole. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 25 queries.