Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sppedo/tach combo  (Read 4422 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Sppedo/tach combo
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:18:03 PM »

A friend of mine has a 2003 SERK and is looking to get a speedo/tach combo. He does not like the one option that HD makes and was looking elsewhere. He found this but it does not have a light for the security system. Does anybody have any info if this would work??? Does anybody know of another company that make a compatible gauge. All the MoCo catalog says on some of them is 08 and later and 07--most say nothing about 03. I think only the SE's came with security that year???

This is one gauge he was looking at
http://procycle.autometer.com/NewsArticle.aspx?mo=2&yr=2010&aid=110

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Sppedo/tach combo
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »

That gauge you linked from Autometer is a nice looking instrument in person.  I don't remember seeing the security light in it.  Though that's not necessarily a deal breaker.  Could easily mount a little LED through the body of the dash itself to blink with the system is armed.  That's what Harley had us do on several of the earlier model alarms kits.  Can remember doing it to a 2000 Road King (I think).

There are other options though.  Harley used to offer HD branded speedo/tach combination instruments for the 95-03 model range.  Now those of us with those bikes have machines old enough Mother Harley isn't helping us anymore. 

Here is one (from perhaps the same OE as they look a lot alike) that American Classic Motors has been offering for awhile now.  Have seen it elsewhere also but ACM is generally cheapest.  This is an eBay link so of course won't be live forever:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPEEDO-TACHOMETER-SPEEDOMETER-COMBO-HARLEY-ROAD-KING-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563cf45753QQitemZ370389833555QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here's another eBay link to a dealership probably selling out their old stock of the Harley branded black face instrument similar to the aftermarket piece cited from ACM.  Similar in appearance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-D-COMBO-SPEEDOMETER-TACHOMETER-BLACK-FACE-74461-03A-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a7b2d9b2QQitemZ230446782898QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think I remember Harley offering a silver faced instrument for the 95-03 bikes also.  But could be mistaken about that and couldn't find old stock listed anywhere.

Besides the AutoMeter piece you'd already found, the Harley knock-off piece like that at ACM and the old stock Harley branded instruments themselves there is one more vendor with two option that I'm aware of.  Check Dakota Digital for their fully digital combination units. 

This is their older instrument:

I had one of those in a 95th Anniversary Road King.  Worked well.  Only problem was a 12 o'clock sun.  It washed out the instrument.  Dakota says that's better now than it used to be.  Link to info on the instrument itself is here:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=399/category_id=521/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd399.htm

They also offer a relatively newly released piece that isn't quite plug and play for the pre-04 bikes.  But it's close and it wouldn't be difficult.  It's an easy bolt in.  The extra wiring to fully hook up all its bells and whistles shouldn't be enough to scare anyone off who likes the instrument.  They offer it in two face colors.  This is the more standard look:

Their other option is the same instrument but with a nearly all red display.  Link to this instrument is here:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=683/category_id=521/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd683.htm

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:29:01 PM »

Thanks for the thorough reply!!!

Is the security light needed or is it just a light to let you know the system is armed?? Is it necessary for the operation of the security system?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »

Thanks for the thorough reply!!!

Is the security light needed or is it just a light to let you know the system is armed?? Is it necessary for the operation of the security system?

It's there not so much to let you know it's armed as to blink menacingly so that others know it's armed.

Ok, a little more seriously; on the older bikes (I think it's 02 and before) the alarm system addition was a multi-part affair.  The alarm kit and an "install" kit.  That install kit was the alarm system's harness.

Part of that harness was the single wire that went up the speedo or tach (wherever the indicator was for that bike).  That's all that does.  Just energizes the idiot light.  Alarm system will work fine without it.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »

i couldnt fnd a combo setup that i like so i took a chance on this

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »

Thanks for all the info...I will pass it along. I think he is going to wait until his Dragonfly fairing comes in so he can see how much room he has on the bars and maybe just put one by the handlebar clamp. We will see....

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:33:14 AM »

unless the new D-fly design has changed a lot, it will most likely cover where the tach ontop of the riser cover would be.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:36:55 AM »

i removed my tach when i added my d-fly.

you can see the 3 holes in the riser cover where the tach was mounted. the notch in the bottom of the fairing was added by d-fly so that it could sit over the tach bracket.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.