Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 21" or 23" on 2009 SERG?  (Read 1514 times)

Glide Boy

• Full CVO Member
21" or 23" on 2009 SERG?
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:00:40 AM »

What can anyone tell me about putting either a 21" 3.25" Wide Renegade wheel on the front or a 23" 3.75" Wide Renegade wheel?  I really want to put something larger on, but have heard that it will effect the handling of my Road Glide.  I am planning on leaving the stock 18" on the rear.  Would I need to put a lowering kit on the front?  I am scared to screw up a perfect handling bike.

Thanks,

Glide Boy

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Re: 21" or 23" on 2009 SERG?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »

Why mess with a "perfect handling bike"?  but then again, I did
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »

Perfect must be in the eye of the beholder.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »

Current issue of Baggers has one with a 30-inch front wheel.  Looks hiddeous.  I was trying to think of what it reminded me of, then it hit me.  A gas-powered chop saw.  To each their own I guess, but mine is it's the same as spinners were a few years ago - an ugly fad that went away soon and didn't offer any advantages.  That's as much help as I can offer I'm afraid.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:18:32 PM »

Pictured below is a friend's SERG with a 23" custom wheel.  Shows a good comparison to my stock front.  Last week, on the way back to Los Angeles from Laughlin, he developed a speed wobble on I-40 and went down.  He spent four days in the hospital.  His road rash is pretty ugly and the bike is probably totaled.  Luckily, he was not run over after going down. 

I also recall that some of the tire and wheel manufacturers have published recommendations against 21" or larger front tires / wheels because they are not designed to carry the weight of a touring bike.   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:04:07 PM »

I added a Fat Bagger FBI kit to my Road Glide. I believe it was a 21" and yes they had to install a lowering kit in the forks. It did change the handling a bit. Made the front "heavier" during low speed turns. Other than that it rode the same (great) at every other speed. I don't remember what size the rear tire was. 17 or 18 I think. John from Omaha (a member here now) bought it. maybe he will see this and chime in as well.

Couple of pics

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.