Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Police shooting  (Read 1939 times)

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
Re: Police shooting
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »

Everyone needs to understand that law enforcement when it comes to deadly force is a reactionary force. In other words the officer did not make the dission to use deadly force the deceased did and by doing so he raised the force continuim that caused this officer to pull his weapon. Thank God for camcorders in the police cars or this cop would have been hung out to dry. This crap is why I'm glad I'm retired. This should have never seen a court room. I had been in two shootings in my 21 years of law enforcement and I know what this guy has went thru. All the second guessing and should have would have could have scenarios. Anyone that has put that uniform on and has walked in his shoes knows exactly what I'm saying. The politicians that appoint his Sheriff or Chief of Police only care about what the publics preceptions are, if that video had not been there and the public outcry would have been police abusing there power and the officer would most likely himself end up in prison. Now put that on your shoulders while your putting on that uniform everyday and walking out that door.

YesItsLoaded

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »

Everyone needs to understand that law enforcement when it comes to deadly force is a reactionary force. In other words the officer did not make the dission to use deadly force the deceased did and by doing so he raised the force continuim that caused this officer to pull his weapon. Thank God for camcorders in the police cars or this cop would have been hung out to dry. This crap is why I'm glad I'm retired. This should have never seen a court room. I had been in two shootings in my 21 years of law enforcement and I know what this guy has went thru. All the second guessing and should have would have could have scenarios. Anyone that has put that uniform on and has walked in his shoes knows exactly what I'm saying. The politicians that appoint his Sheriff or Chief of Police only care about what the publics preceptions are, if that video had not been there and the public outcry would have been police abusing there power and the officer would most likely himself end up in prison. Now put that on your shoulders while your putting on that uniform everyday and walking out that door.

Hey man - am I correct in thinking that your simply making a statement - not pointing a finger at anyone here?

I ask this b/c after reading your post I wanted to make sure I hadn't inadvertently left the impression in my posts to imply ANYTHING negative about how the officer dealt with the situation - only that his 'approach' to the vehicle was flawed. We have the luxury of 'Monday-Morning-Quarterbacking' the incident and picking it apart not being thrust into the heat of the moment or what transpired b/4 the tape began. I thought the officer's reaction 'after the gun was pulled on him' was completely appropriate and well executed - reasonable under the circumstances and therefore justifiable: I just wish he hadn't gotten himself into a 'less than ideal' position on approach.

Even though I don't agree with it, I have seen all to often that the brass, cow-towing to the public outcry, would investigate the issue of 14-rounds fired - even old beat-cops get CYA-fever after riding a desk for too long. Again, I support what the officer did after the approach and felt his actions were reasonable, justified and within the force-continuum under the circumstances thereafter.

I did "put (sic) on that uniform everyday and walk (sic) out that door" ... and now continue my service by training others.

I just wanted to let you know that I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »

Amen!!! Being a public servant and in public safety isn't any joke.... I tell people all the time ain't but one letter difference between "Hero" and "Zero" and there is always somebody out there trying to knock/put you down.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »

Glad he's safe too and I agree with you - to a point: the officer put himself directly square and parallel to the suspect while he should have been just behind the suspects left shoulder (that way the suspect would have to rotate his whole body back to shoot the officer instead of just reach up and pull the trigger). Also, the officer had his flashlight in his gun hand - a big no/no.

The officer should have had his flashlight in his left (non-gun) hand, and approached the driver with his left-shoulder leading (officer's belly square to the door) as close to the vehicle as possible and right hand on his gun ready to draw. This is basic academy stuff. That way, as the suspect pointed his gun out the window, the officer is already behind the line of fire and has an opportunity to step back, draws his weapon and issue a command or fire himself. If you get close enough to deflect a weapon on a traffic stop with the driver still inside the vehicle ... your too close!

He is very fortunate he is still alive. Scr_w the felon.

Hmmmm...

Sounds to me like Monday morning quarterbacking.

YesItsLoaded

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 10:47:18 PM »

Hmmmm...

Sounds to me like Monday morning quarterbacking.

Yeah, thanks for the insight Murph - I said that myself earlier in Post #16 above.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »

I did not nor did I mean to imply in any form that I was debating this officers actions. Nor was I commenting on your statement. I'm just sic and tired of the way the brass or what ever you want to call them, will not stand behind there officers. They will take the route of popularity every time. Look at the Rodney King beating as an example. The public was outraged by what they saw, BUT!!!!!!! what they saw was an edited tape by the media and not the whole tape. Did that deptartment stand behind it's officers? Not at first, not until the whole tape was given to them. I'm not going to bebate this issue I am very glad this officer is ok and with his family, but I know what he went through in his interrogations over it with internal affairs. By the time they are done with you they have you questioning yourself. I'm sorry if I came across that way, I was just conveying my experiences with my dept and watching how others were treated. Hell we had a trooper that was fired and sent to prison for vehicle manslaughter, the troop was running code three on  a major highway at night, the guy makes a right turn on red in front of him. The troop did 4 years in prison and lost his job all because he was doing his job. But it was what the public wanted so the prosecutor went after him. This is all I'm saying, Again if I offended you I'm sorry, but it was directed as a statement of times and how they are. Not on your opinion.

MIB

• Life is good!

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 01:14:45 AM »

Think about it...   the job of Police Officer is the only job where one can save a life, take a life, or lose a life on any given day.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.