Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: V-Tune,, How Close to a GOOD Dyno Tuner  (Read 3845 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: V-Tune,, How Close to a GOOD Dyno Tuner
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »

There was a time, and not really all that long ago either, when the stock ignition map was fairly decent and it wasn't necessary to do much more than get the AFR right.  Now, however, the stock ignition map is far from optimum due to all the "tweaks" to meet the latest emission regulations.  Ultraswede is absolutely correct, the ignition mapping is every bit as important as the fuel mapping on late model bikes.  None of the so-called "autotune" devices, and very few canned maps, deal with the ignition at all.  Unfortunately, the same can be said for many of those places that bought a dyno but neglected to hire a real tuning expert to operate it.

If you can find a really good tuner, there is no doubt in my mind that you will get a much better tune from him than you will with any of the autotune systems or by using the recording capabilities of the TTS or SEST type devices.  Having said that however, I would also mention that it is real easy to get carried away with this stuff.  How good is good enough, and at what point do you decide the bike runs well enough for what you actually do with it?  If you race it, by all means keep right on tweaking.  If you just ride it down the highway and around town, once it's running good move on to something else.  There are a lot of other things you can spend all your spare time and buckets of money on with a Harley, don't let the engine management system monopolize everything.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE in black & fire quartz
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 06:55:09 PM »

Well, that's why I'm here fellas, to bask in the experience of those who have gone before.
Thanks for all the info!
 ;D
I still think it would be interesting as an experiment to get mine as far along as I can with Mastertune, then have Steve at Fullsac dyno it to see what it makes and then tune it to see what is further gained.

ultraswede

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »

Having said that however, I would also mention that it is real easy to get carried away with this stuff.

You are so correct.........don't ask me how I know you are..........
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.