Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cd disc removal question  (Read 1840 times)

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
cd disc removal question
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »

Has anyone had any problems with the hk radios and being able to remove a cd?  seem after i wait about a week or so it will just come on out.  other than that it won't happen.  today i went to update my radio software but had the wrong format on the disc and now can't get it out to put the right one in.  Had to pull the fuses and mess with it for a while to get the radio back working again. 

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: cd disc removal question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »

HK sucks... you should send a PM to the Iron Cross fellow
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:56:45 PM by murphy »

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 06:39:53 AM »

Has anyone had any problems with the hk radios and being able to remove a cd?  seem after i wait about a week or so it will just come on out.  other than that it won't happen.  today i went to update my radio software but had the wrong format on the disc and now can't get it out to put the right one in.  Had to pull the fuses and mess with it for a while to get the radio back working again. 

What year is the bike?

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »

2006 seuc

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 05:23:31 PM »

If you're still running the original 6.8 or 7.8 version software you may have an eject issue if the disc is difficult for the drive to read (scratched, dirty, wrong format, etc...) try getting a later version in and see if that helps. if the software is a 6.8 version, be careful. That level was only out for a few months early on. If it experiences a disc error, the unit may lock. (no audio, no control). Anything after 7.8 have no eject issues.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »

Yep i have vers 7.8  i had a cd in it before i tried to update it and i couldn't get it out then one day i hit eject and it just came out.  But i had the wrong format on the cd when i tried to dothe update and it couldn't read it so now i can't get it out to put in the right formated one.  Didn't know if there was some trick.  When i get into the test modes i can test the eject button and it says its ok.  But i can't choose cd on the mode cause it can't read it i am assuming but still can't eject it.  Hoped there was another way besides taking apart the radio. 

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 09:48:23 AM »

It's most likely going to need to be removed. The CD will need to come off the drive with a forced eject process to prevent damage to the drive. This is done by applying voltage directly to the sled motor in the drive. This is pretty classic 7.8 with an unreadable disc. Th Phillips CD drive is prioritizing the read function over the eject function, so until the disc is read, it wont eject. Later software updates switched the priority to eject.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »

Do you by chance have a diagram of where that is in the radio?  So i don't go screwing more stuff up.

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 04:53:02 PM »

No diagram, but we can take some pics and e-mail them to you. Send us an e-mail and we'll respond with the pics. service@ironcrossaudio.com

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »

See... that's why I recommended the Iron Cross guy!

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »

Thanks guys sent you an email. 

rotorwing

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »

I have a cuse3 and had the problem you mentioned with the cd not ejecting.  It caused me major heart ache due to the fact that I thought there was no cd in the unit after I hit eject and no cd came out, causing me to push my navigation cd in on top of a music cd. I went months with no nav or cd music.  Last weekend I decided to install a Whistler Cruisader radar detecter ( sorry no pics, will post if anyone is interested) in place of the thermometer so the radio had to come out for access.  I removed the top cover of the HK and pushed the stuck nav cd out. The CD player now operates but my NE GPS map CD is scratched and does not load. I talked to my dealer and Harley Customer Care and there attitude is that I caused the damaged CD and they are happy to sell me a new map CD set for $175. My dealer would not cover anything related to this under warranty and just wanted to send my unit in for a $250. repair.  I had seen on HD's website mention of this eject problem, but my dealer turned a blind eye to it. Was hoping someone would upload and email me the files on the NE disc.  This is hardly pirating since I own a licensed copy.  I still need the software update that cures this eject problem also.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 01:36:11 PM »

Well i got the cd out.  Didn't have to take the cd drive out.  just had to take the radio cover off and there is 2 mechanical drives you can just push yourself on the top to eject the drive.  I installed the updated software again but it won't update.  Just sits there at the verifying dsp image and never leaves that.  No clue if it just doesn't like my cd or the damn thing just wants me to find a harley shop that has the updated cd so they can do it. 

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.