Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: COOLING FAN OR NOT??  (Read 1168 times)

jazz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Happy Hog!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE 3
COOLING FAN OR NOT??
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »

Guys,
I have just ordered a new Spiced Rum Street Glide.  Delivery in about three weeks.  I traded in my Ultra Classic 110 CVO which has been a loyal servant for just over two years.  I never had a problem with oil leaking from the rear cylinder which appeared to be a common problem with the earlier 97 - 110.  I fitted a Harley Cooling fan from new, and I have convinced myself that it was the fan that cooled the motor down that prevented the problem.  Especially after stopping when the motor gets hotter before cooling down.  In summer the fan would always come on for about seven minutes after stopping. 
Question is, Should I fit a cooling fan to the new Street Glide for peace of mind if nothing else?  Advice appreciated. ???

Ride Safe

Jazz

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: COOLING FAN OR NOT??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »

If you can put up with the looks, and you're convinced there's a value, why not?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: COOLING FAN OR NOT??
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »

I second mrmagloo's comment.  Anything that can direct more air to the rear cylinder definitely won't hurt.  The only issue I've seen with the Harley or aftermarket fans has been reliability.  Broken mounting brackets and actual fan motor failures seem to have been fairly common.  As for the appearance, that is in the eye of the beholder.  Ugly but no damage from overheating is probably better than pretty but broken.  Of course, that's not the traditional Harley way of looking at things.

I'm not familiar with the rules in the UK, but if you can retune the bike (new ignition and fuel maps) to run cooler, and refrain from sitting for long periods at idle, you could probably get by fine without the fan.  Many people in the US have solved their overheating problem just with a good (but illegal of course) tune.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 25 queries.