Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trip around the Bohemian Spas  (Read 1102 times)

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
trip around the Bohemian Spas
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:04:59 PM »

as Dresden actually is a traditional border-town (allthough thanks to the Schengen-treaty nowadays there are no real "borders" around us for many hundred miles any more) we quite frequently visit our Polish and Czech neighbours 45 resp. 30 min. away from town. We especially appreciate those trips as today those are really "Lands of the Free" compared to overregulated Germany: you may still smoke, drink and ride wherever you like (not everything at the same time though and not at any speed anymore  ;)).

At least once every year we visit the famous bohemian spas Mariánské Lázně (Marienbad), Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad), Františkovy Lázně (Franzensbad) and the ancient Chebsko (Egerland).

Here are the pics of our last trip two weeks ago: click, there is a little ride-report too: click (it's only in German I'm sorry but maps and pic's don't need a translation I guess).

Touring this most scenic part of central Europe is always something special for me as Bohemia, the very heart of continental Europe for centuries, for the first 30 years of my life was a forbidden country I never had expected to ever see with my own eyes. Today you need Zumo to tell you where the border between Saxonia and Bohemia used to be since the peace of Eger in 1459.

There are at least some positive things our ungodly Bruxelles-monster gives birth to from time to time  ;D
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: trip around the Bohemian Spas
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »

Gonna have to check out Karlovy Vary my next trip to the Czech Republic which should be in the fourth quarter sometime. 

We went to Dresden last June (2009) and saw a few sights downtown.  I was surprised that the language barrier actually seemed more difficult even compared to where our plant is in Most (rural Czech Republic).  And the worst part was I couldn't find anywhere to exchange USD or CZK for EUR ... and a couple of places we checked with wouldn't accept my Visa that didn't have a chip/PIN!  So, when we got hungry, we headed for the border! LOL

Beautiful countryside in Germany, though!  We enjoyed the brief sightseeing excursion!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:22:53 AM »

Hi 103tHunDer,

next time you travel to Germany you just go to the railway-station in any mayor city. There you will most likely find a counter of german ReiseBank, in Dresden for instance at Central Station Wiener Platz 4, open from Monday to Sunday at least 10:00 am till 06:00 pm. There is almost no currency they don't accept and they are partners of American Express and Western Union.

The language barrier indeed still is a big problem in the eastern part of Germany as in the former "DDR" only russian was taught in school instead of english so most people above the age of 35 don't speak any foreign language (the russian they learned most just forgot right away as it's almost entirely useless since 1990).

Let me know next time you are in town  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »

Kraut

Great slideshow! Lots of smiles and beautiful countryside. ;D :D ;D :D
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »

Enjoyed the slideshow looks like some great rides and the weather appeared to be very cooperative. Thanks  for sharing with all of us.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 26 queries.