Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: OUT OF POCKET EXPENCE?  (Read 2272 times)

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

Re: OUT OF POCKET EXPENCE?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »

How do I find out more about this "class action law suit"?  I bought an ESP last April for my 08, If I can get some reimbusment on it, (fat chance), that would help.

Ray Z 
RayZ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 11:18:31 AM »

They will give you two years of warranty if you have none. If you have extended they give you "up to" $700. (If they give you rate of warranty based on their cost, that would be closer to $350). So in fact you really get nothing but screwed again. $350 will by you a nice overpriced leather jacket. The breakdowns, other than leaking gaskets are major when it comes to 110's. I just had cams replaced at less than 4000 miles. 2007 $26,000 new, $17,000 today if I screwed someone into buying it. All I want is a bike I can ride.......Without worrying about getting stranded on........again.

I agree (except they will give you 2 years ESP, not warranty).  As I've said, this is all about the attorneys filling their pockets, not about fair redress for all the expenses of the people who got screwed buying one of the MoCo's underdeveloped and overpriced "flagship" models. 

This is typical of class actions these days, and you have law firms that specialize in what I call corporate blackmail.  I'm sure you've seen the ads in print and on TV, "if you've taken this drug or bought this product you may be entitled to benefits".  In many cases these firms start out without actual clients contacting them to initiate the suit.  They pick a situation out of the news or from other sources and decide to attack a particular deep pockets type of entity, then they seek out "victims".  I still remember the days when the victims sought out the attorneys, but I guess that wasn't efficient enough for these greedy operators.

Fortunately, you don't have to settle for what this law firm does.  You do have the right to opt out of the class, which means you don't participate in any settlement but you also don't give up your right to fight H-D on your own.  For those who have huge expenses related to failures of these bikes, you may do better opting out and going it alone.  I'd suggest if you fall into that category you talk to an attorney before deciding whether to opt out of any class action settlement.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jjc

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »

I know I'm going to go this alone. This "class action" they list under is just away out for HD. It has no class action or court decesion.  Don't have to opt out of a suit that doesn't exist with these firms. It just a firm HD hired to make a quick settlement and get whoever they settle with off the table. Under the lemon laws, you have to have it break at least three times. Instead of riding it like I own it. it's time to ride it like I stole it.... 120 Mph 1/4 miles, here I come. I'm sure something will break soon. Already lost a month this year on it. Two more months of breakdowns at this point would be no big deal.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »

Here in TN motorcycles are not covered by the state's Lemon Law.  But recently I saw an article about an amendment which would include them going forward.  Not sure if that has passed but even if it does will not help me since it will not be retroactive.  I suspect that many state Lemon Laws do not cover motorcycles.

Going it alone is not imo much of an option.  Attorney fees are just too darn expensive for something like this imo.  And if mother Harley can convince the powers that be that they have 'fixed' the problem then you are not likely to get much more than you would with this 'class action settlement.'

I received several broken bones about 10 years ago in a ladder accident.  No, I did not fall off, but the leg on the aluminum ladder bent causing the ladder to fall with me standing on it.  Anyway I did hire an attorney and we sued.  After about three years of back and forth with nothing at all being accomplished the ladder company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and there went any chance for restitution.  To add insult to injury I had to pay the out of pocket expenses associated with the action - no attorney fees because he took it on contingency but here were plenty of other costs.

All in all unless you have a really solid and large case worth big bucks it is just not worth the hassle and expense to pursue it legally.  Big companies like the moco know this and that is why they can just wait it out and get off relatively lightly.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.