Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Info/Advice on Daytona Twin Tec Gen III ECM and "autotune"  (Read 1846 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Info/Advice on Daytona Twin Tec Gen III ECM and "autotune"
« on: August 04, 2010, 01:35:16 AM »

Had this evening someone offer an exceptional price on one of these kits new in the package.  I've never seen one in person before.  Zero experience with them and rarely hear them mentioned.

Advice from those with any experience (positive or negative)?  Ease of setup?  Effectiveness in use?  Plays well (or not) with other hardware?  Any experience based advice is appreciated.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
Re: Info/Advice on Daytona Twin Tec Gen III ECM and "autotune"
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »

Hey Twolane. Check out the comparison with Thundermax. I'm running a Thundermax and so far I'm happy. But I'm always open to new ideas. I only have about 900 miles on it, so I don't know if I'll have any more issues with it or not.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/download/TCFI3_TMax_Comparison.pdf
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:12:54 AM »

Hey Twolane. Check out the comparison with Thundermax. I'm running a Thundermax and so far I'm happy. But I'm always open to new ideas. I only have about 900 miles on it, so I don't know if I'll have any more issues with it or not.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/download/TCFI3_TMax_Comparison.pdf

Had scanned that doc previously but thanks for highlighting it again.  Did take another brief look.  T-Max seems to get more press and more play.  Some of things highlighted in that comparison doc brought as many questions as they answered though. 

They highlight differences in their software.  But those are primarily differences in how things are done not necessarily capabilities that don't exist in the compared product.  Then they highlight things as relatively inconsequential as the size of the plugs on the o2 harnesses.  If they're going out of their way to highlight something as minimally important as that to point out why they're better it seems like they're reaching a bit.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:26:28 AM »

I also noticed that you need a seperate O2 module which is included. There is no room on my bike for stuff like that. Another negative. Also the price looks like it's about the same.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:28:45 AM »

I also noticed that you need a seperate O2 module which is included. There is no room on my bike for stuff like that. Another negative. Also the price looks like it's about the same.

The T-Max has an external module also.  It used to be a larger form factor (and still is in their Marelli conversion package).  It's form factor now is smaller though and makes it appear to be incorporated almost as one with the ECM.  I agree in tight spaces that smaller form factor could be real benefit.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »

The T-Max has an external module also.  It used to be a larger form factor (and still is in their Marelli conversion package).  It's form factor now is smaller though and makes it appear to be incorporated almost as one with the ECM.  I agree in tight spaces that smaller form factor could be real benefit.
My ThunderMax Autotune is all in one module with connectors coming off it that run to the O2 sensors. It didn't take me very long to install.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »

My ThunderMax Autotune is all in one module with connectors coming off it that run to the O2 sensors. It didn't take me very long to install.

I've not seen a T-Max for the TBW bikes so have no clue if they're an integrated unit or a pair.  All the T-Max for prior year bikes I've seen though are two piece.  The autotune module snaps directly on the face of the main ECM so they look like one piece.  But it's two that can be sold separately.

None of this shows anyone having experience or reviews of their use with the Daytona brand ECM product.  Knew it existed but had never heard nor read much play on the product though.  I'm not doing the learning curve on yet another engine management package without shared insights from someone I trust suggesting the time spent is worthwhile and there are relative gains to be had.  So far no

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:57:51 AM »

Don,

You might check with Jim (HD-Dude) thought he played with the DTT on one of the 124's out there.   I think it was Ernie's, but wouldn't swear to it.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:00:17 AM »

Don,

You might check with Jim (HD-Dude) thought he played with the DTT on one of the 124's out there.   I think it was Ernie's, but wouldn't swear to it.

If that's what Ernie had I remember him writing that it worked well; for awhile.  Whatever he had worked well than seemed to tune itself out of position requiring somewhat regular reloads of the base map.  It's been awhile.  But that's my recollection.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »

If that's what Ernie had I remember him writing that it worked well; for awhile.  Whatever he had worked well than seemed to tune itself out of position requiring somewhat regular reloads of the base map.  It's been awhile.  But that's my recollection.

Didnt recall if it was good or bad, just that I had thought they used it on his bike or one of those builds and you were looking for information.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.