Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wheel Weights Fall Off my 2010 Orange Flame CVO Ultra  (Read 1893 times)

Bob Morasko

Wheel Weights Fall Off my 2010 Orange Flame CVO Ultra
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »

I have had the wheel weights fall off of my 2010 CVO Ultra for the third time in 4,800 miles.  The initial time the Harley chrome emblem weights fell off the front tire and dented the front fender from the inside out (Harley replaced the front fender with no hassles).  The dealer to be safe installed the standard stick on lead weights that are small and do less damage that the chrome weights were installled and made it a few hundred miles until they fell off (no damage to the front fender).  The dealer graciously rebalanced my front tire and installed some new weights again.  I was riding through the black hills today to return home to Gillette, WY and noticed the some of the front tire weights fell off again.  Has anybody had this problem?  If yes, what was your solution to not have the weights fall off the front tire again?

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Wheel Weights Fall Off my 2010 Orange Flame CVO Ultra
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »

Look up "Dyna Beads"  Got them in my SERG and Deuce

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »

1.  Find good fresh weights, not some junk that's been lying around in your dealership for several years in some guys toolbox.  Try a high volume tire and wheel shop, they tend to go through their inventory much quicker than a Harley dealership.

2.  Properly prepare the wheel surface with a thorough cleaning, finished off with isopropyl alcohol and wiped dry with a clean cloth.  Do not touch the cleaned surface or the adhesive.

3.  With the wheel and the weights at normal room temperature or higher, apply the weight(s) and press down firmly.  It's called pressure sensitive adhesive for a reason; firm pressure is required to assure a good bond.  Many people, including those in the factories doing this stuff, tend to think they can just lay the parts in place and the adhesive just magically sticks. 

When done right, stick-on weights are very reliable.  As is the case with most things, the important part is the prep and then following the process.  Shortcuts aren't recommended.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:07:38 AM »

Look up "Dyna Beads"  Got them in my SERG and Deuce
:2vrolijk_21:
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.