Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tachometer irradic, motor misses  (Read 3785 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Tachometer irradic, motor misses
« on: October 31, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »

Hi,
 My FXR4 has another puzzeling problem. Several months and several thousand miles ago I had issues with an oily alternator plug shorting the ac to ground causing all kinds of problems. Now the tach rpm varies up and down about 400 rpm but the motor usually runs OK. Recently the motor is starting to miss usually about 2300 rpm or other rpm when under load. If I had bad plugs the motor would miss but it should not affect the tachometer. Plugs look good. Could the Electronic ignition affect the tachometer readings? I know it could affect the motor running. What kind of symptoms does a bad ignition module cause besides not running or running badly? The coil would affect motor  but the tach? Any insight? Would a bad tachometer affect the electronic ignition? There are alot of variables here. Don't want to buy too many wrong parts that would not be the problem. I want to narrow it down some.
Thanks,
Ltank

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
Re: Tachometer irradic, motor misses
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 10:45:06 PM »

Hi,
Does anyone know the Harley part numbers for the ignition sensor in the nose cone and the stock ignition module or the street legal Screaming Eagle igntion  module.That will work wit the 2000 FXR4. The sensor for the EVO is cheaper than the Twin cam sensor that the Harley shop want to sell me.They can't find a stock evo part or they don't want to. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ltank

takanohana

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »

Hi,
Does anyone know the Harley part numbers for the ignition sensor in the nose cone and the stock ignition module or the street legal Screaming Eagle ignition module.That will work wit the 2000 FXR4. The sensor for the EVO is cheaper than the Twin cam sensor that the Harley shop want to sell me.They can't find a stock evo part or they don't want to. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ltank

Stock Ignition Module....PN: 32449-95A page 24/25 item #11
SE Street Legal Ignition Module....PN: 32630-96

CAM Sensor (If this is the same as the Ignition sensor)...PN: 32448-95A page 26/27 item #9

Reference Harley Davidson Parts Manual 2000 Fxr4...PN: 99429-00

You may want to remove your instrument cover, unplug your connections from your tach/speedo; clean with an electrical cleaner. Sometimes dirt, dust, moisture or just a bad connection will cause the tach and or speedo to bounce around all squirrelly and such. Also; make sure your connections are strong on your battery. I had similar problems you described about three weeks ago when my GF and I were riding. The motor was skipping badly, the tach and speedo were acting as you suggest yours is. I checked my battery cables and the pos (+) was loose; I tightened it up and BAM!!!...NO MORE PROBLEM....GO FIGURE HEY!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:53:41 PM by takanohana »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:53:15 PM »

Thanks for the help. I will check as you said and i will post a reply on the results.
Thanks,
Ltank

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:44:33 PM »

there is also a wire that runs from the coil to the tach, check the fittings on the back of the coil and make sure they are clean and tight.  You might even want to put some dialectic grease on there since it's always exposed to the elements.
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »

Thanks Guys,
Well I think it fixed. The battery ground was not loose because it cranked fine but I tightened it anyway.
I did find the pink wire that pushes on to the coil was not a snug fit. I removed it, squeesed it to make it smaller and still round for a better fit. I put 70 test miles and it run great. I don''t know why I always look for the hard stuff first.
I am currious about service manuels. I see that the 2000 FXR4 and 1999 FXR2/FXR3 also are suppliments books. If we wanted a full service manuel is there one? FLH/FXR 1999 or 1994? What is the best full service manuel?
Thanks

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »

perhaps this should be in a NEW THREAD with a different title to it .... but you asked about a 'full service manual'

that's worth a laugh ! 

1999 FXR2/FXR3 Service Manual, IS THE FULL SERVICE MANUAL ... it also serves at the Service Manual for the 2000 FXR4.  However there is also a supplement book for the FXR4.  It covers the changes for the FXR4. Some of those are related to the dual disc brakes, digital speedo, and electrical stuff.  Couple guys that I've read their post who paid like $40 for the book were not happy after they got it and saw the contents.

2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 08:07:28 PM »

Thanks Mickey,
 I have the 2000 FXR4 supliment and it has the wiring schematic and other items. The wiring was the only reason I bought it. Other than that it is pretty lame. I will get the 99 FXR 2/3 manuel and possably the parts book for Christmas so I will have help with some of the bigger repairs as they arrive.The only real problems seem to have been electrical. Bike is running great now. Love it.
Thanks Again,
Ltank

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.