Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another gearing (option) from Speeds Performance Plus  (Read 2683 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Another gearing (option) from Speeds Performance Plus
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »

:cherry:

In the latest issue of EasyRider (Sept. 2010),  is an article about Speeds solution to the current gearing problems many of us have.

The article indicates they must have a new compensating sprocket that is (one tooth) smaller than stock.  They even say you may be able to use the same primary chain and make it fit.  They indicate it making 6th gear much more useable, etc. etc.

The way I calc it,  my current (overall) gearing on my 2009 Ultra is 2.87.

Lowering the comp sprocket by only one tooth,  changes the final ratio to 2.96  or a measly 3.1 % :-\

Personally,  I don't think that's enough lower to really matter.   If they had a new comp sprocket that was 30 tooth (like the Evolution Ind deal),  that would be nice........even a 32 would be better.

Can't find any info about this new deal on their website.   Anybody else tried to find out more or has an opinion.

www.speedsperformanceplus.com

graygost267

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Another gearing (option) from Speeds Performance Plus
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »

Moscooter: :soapbox: I have been looking for a sprocket with 33 teeth for my 08 SE Ultra ever since I read the article in Easyrider.  I can not find a primary sprocket with 33 teeth (one less than the OEM of 34 T).  I am beginning to believe that they (the Tech Garage guys) must have a hybrid.  I sent them an email asking for a vendor, but no answer.  I want a little more gitup and go off the  chock and don't care about the loss of top end speed.  Since I am not that knowledgeable in the mechanics of gearing, I wonder if anyone on this site knows of a source for a 33T sprocket that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.   :nixweiss: :confused5:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »

I'm not getting the problem?  At 75 you should be doing what about 2800 - 2900 rpm?  The 5th gear is at the same ratio as the old 5 speeds, so if you're running below say 2500 rpm, just down shift to 5th.  For the added benefit that 6th gear brings, that shouldn't be a big trade off. I'm dying to upgrade my '06 SEUC to a DD6, so I'm not screaming at ~3200 at 75.

What am I missing?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »

::)
"What am I missing?"

:cherry:  You're focused on the wrong end of the "issue".  Yes indeed,  my 'old 2001 RK Classic with the final ratio 3.37 (5 speed) always did seem like another gear was necessary or would be helpful at highway speeds.

The extra 6th gear will take care of that nicely.

HOWEVER,  (on the low-end),  getting a pig (over 850 pounds with noone on it) moving,  (especially with a passenger on board)..........First gear is NOT LOW ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So,  I'm looking for an overall lower gearing setup to fix that problem.  By the way,  6th gear is basically useless below about 70 as the (r's) aren't high enough and it starts lugging and needs 5th :P

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »

Hmm, I'm no light weight, and with a full travel load I think 1st is just fine. I think the ratio is the same? I can crawl in stop and go as low as 7 mph per the Zumo, and it pulls from there fine.

The only thing I'd change is adding the 6th gear as most highways in my neck of the woods is 70 and you have to do 75 or you'll get ran over. With the 5 spd, that's just reving too high for my likes. Didn't mean to crash your discussion, but sure wish I was dealing with your 'issue' and not mine.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:57:44 AM by mrmagloo »

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 11:25:59 AM »

:cherry:
Well,  I am pretty much a lite weight at around 165-170 and my wife around 130.  I think the gearing on your 06 or whatever you mentioned is a little different than what I have on my '09.  Plus,  I'm running T-Man cams (dont recall the exact ones right now), but  they don't come on strong until around 2700-2800 rpms.

The John Deere tractor like lower gearing that was available on my 2001 in first gear is NOT what I have now.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:58:32 PM »

Good luck with your search!  I'm not actually thinking about the DD7??  We'll see.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.