Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gopro cameras  (Read 1703 times)

mikegiotto

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ROADKING
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO STREET GLIDE
Gopro cameras
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »

I know there a lot of members on here running Gopro cameras. I am considering buying a Hero 3 and I was reading about all the problems they are having (freezing up, trouble playing back the videos and poor battery life) are you haaving any problems? As always most people on post the problems I was hoping for some feedback.

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
Re: Gopro cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:24:54 AM »

subscribed.  My wife just bought me a Hero3 Silver.  The Black seems to have much better video recording especially in low light and has a remote.  I have read that the firmware fix  has taken care of the freezing up but the battery life is not very good. you can buy the remote for the Silver but now you are close to the price of the Black.  I am waiting for feedback as well or for GoPro to fix these issues.  T

UAV Pilot

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »

I purchased the first GoPro Hero 3 Black that was available in my City.  I almost took it back.  Had I not been on a cruise / diving trip, I would have done so.  It seemed like nothing would work right or at least consistently. I was plagued with problems for the whole trip.  By the way, battery died on both dives. Dive was about 45 min to hour.  The pictures and video however are amazing.  When I got back from the trip I found an update to the firmware and it seems to have settled down and is working correctly.  The battery life however is terrible.  I see now that they have an extra capacity battery as an add on. Poor battery design or great marketing? You decide!  About to download the second firmware update and will see how that goes.  I initially complained to GoPro that the camera seems to run very hot.  Someone within GoPro told me that was to keep the battery warm and usuable, knowing a little about electricity, that just means wasted battery life in the form of heat.  I personally believe the Hero 3 was not ready for prime time, but dang, it sure takes some good pics.
Better to Remain Silent and Thought a Fool, Than To Open One's Mouth and Remove All Doubt......Abraham Lincoln

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:25 AM »

I still have the original, ride with it on, just in case of an accident. It has 25K miles on it, never great with battery, now with the add on battery, it works great. Still on original everything except it broke a mount once and fell off, bought a new case and vola it was and is fine. Really, almost daily use for 2.5 years...
So with the Pro II or the Pro III, I don't know what I'm missing I guess...                                 :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:42:47 AM by petewerner »
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »

I initially complained to GoPro that the camera seems to run very hot.  Someone within GoPro told me that was to keep the battery warm and usuable, knowing a little about electricity, that just means wasted battery life in the form of heat. 

Nonsense. I read that the latest firmware update has corrected the battery heat issue. I dont know for sure, just passing on the info.  Truly not acceptable.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »

20 years as an electrician, and 10 more years now as an electronics tech and all I have ever been taught is heat destroys batteries and battery life.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

UAV Pilot

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »

Well, I downloaded the latest firmware and have not had much chance to use the camera.  One thing that I failed to mention earlier was the built in wifi of the Hero 3 Black.  I can link my bluetooth enable device to see a preview of what the GoPro sees.  This is very handy when placing the camera on a less than ideal mounting position or if you do not have the LCD backpac.  I simply link the GoPro to my iphone, view the preview on the iphone to see what kind of picture I am getting wherever I have the camera mounted.  Its keeps you from having to lay down and look/ guess at the camera placement.  It also allows me to change from picture to video to time lapse, etc.  A very neat piece of electronics for the money. Yes it has its quirks, but I am sure this level of picture quality and versatility would have cost thousands of dollars just a few years ago.
Better to Remain Silent and Thought a Fool, Than To Open One's Mouth and Remove All Doubt......Abraham Lincoln

2Manytoys

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »

It's my understanding that the continual use of WiFi will drain the battery much faster. A friend of mine only uses the WiFi linked to his phone for aiming purposes then shuts down the WiFi. He states by doing this the battery life is much better. Not great if you have your camera mounted somewhere that you can't reach to turn it on and off manually.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.