Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil usage  (Read 1041 times)

BLU Bike

• Junior CVO Member
Oil usage
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:03:56 AM »

Is 1 to 1 1/2 quart of oil per 3,000 miles normal? Each oil change my bike is about a quart low and the dealer told me that is expected. My previous bike did not use oil at this rate but the service department said the 110 motor will.

Thanks, Gene

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
Re: Oil usage
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »

That doesn't sound good.  I only added 6 oz to my 110 between the 1000 mile and 5000 mile service.
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

RDWEAVER

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »

MY 110 DOES NOT ANY BETWEEN CHANGES. This would be a cause for concern at this rate.

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 07:20:37 AM »

I had to only add 1/2 quart at 800 miles and I consider that acceptable due to break-in running.
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »

Gene, perhaps it's not as bad as you might be concerned with now.  Mentioned commonly is that "full" on the dipstick isn't really full in practical terms.  And if you fill to that point when cold you'll commonly quickly lose a half quart or so.  Pushed out through crankcase vents or elsewhere; it'll just go.  With a cold engine fill it to about a 1/2 quart low on the dipstick and that's actually the fill point.

If you're using a quart or more in 3k miles but have been refilling you might be losing that same top 1/2 quart repeatedly.  If not but if factoring in that original loss you might only be "using" a 1/2 qt in 3k miles or so.  If so that wouldn't worry me at all.  I do 5k between oil changes and don't worry a bit that close to the end of that cycle it's gotten to the point of showing a quart low on the dipstick. 

Hopefully you're not seeing real oil consumption.  If so of course it's an issue that'll have to be sorted out.  Will keep the finger crossed it's not really all that bad though.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 12:12:41 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

What he said.  I actually fill to 1/3 of the way up from the add mark cold, which is about 1 pint low when measured hot.  If I fill it to the hot mark (when hot), it will pump a little oil through the breather into the air cleaner.  Once it stabilizes at the 1 pint low point, it stays there.

Check your oil hot and adjust the level to half way between add and full on the dipstick.  First thing in the morning, before you start the engine pull the dipstick and check where the oil is cold.  Mark that spot on the stick, and in the future you will know where to set the cold oil level.  Then just ride and do periodic level checks but don't add until the oil level reaches the add mark, and then only up to your new full level.  See if this method doesn't eliminate your consumption problem before you go any deeper.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BLU Bike

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 12:35:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies. It's a bit of a long story but when I took my bike in for the 1000 mile service I had the cats cleared out and ful sac baffles and race tuner installed then dyno tuned. When we picked up my bike we also picked up my wife's "08 SG which had the 10,000 mile service done at the same time. The repair orders were stapled together and we paid for both bikes at that time. When I had about 4500 miles on mine the oil pressure started acting strange, at idle it was at 10-15 which was normal but when I accelerated it normally went up to about 30 around 4500 miles it started to go up under acceleration then dropped back down to 10-15 range under load then would move back up. I checked the oil and it was 2 quarts low so I picked up some oil and added 1.5 quarts because the shop I go to said to always leave it a half quart below full. When I took the bike in for the 5000 mile service I told them what had been going on and about the low oil. They looked up the RO and said that there was a problem because the 1000 mile service was not performed. They recently had let the service manager go and he was the one that I spoke with at the 1000 mile service. I made sure I asked him to get the 1000 mile service done before the dyno tuning so it would have fresh oil. They messed up and installed my parts and did the dyno tune but never did the 1000 mile service.

I talked to the general manager and he told me that everything should be fine and that with synthetic the engine would be OK with not having a service done until 4700 miles which is when I took it in for the 5000 mile service. I went out west for a ride and at 8000 miles I had the oil changed and it was a little over a quart low. I now have 9700 miles on and it's a little over a half quart low. I plan to go back to the dealer and discuss this but I wanted to know what others were experiencing concerning oil usage.

I'm not sure what I should or can do at this point but I am very unhappy with the situation.

Thanks, Gene

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »

You have a reason to be livid!
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

Sounds like a good time to switch stealers, before they try to blame something really big on you!

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.