Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: California Pipes  (Read 1393 times)

BobFarmer

• CVO1: 2011 Street Glide
California Pipes
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »

I'm ready to start the exhaust modification for my bike, and need some advice.  I'm looking for the best sound and performance out of my bike possible while having to conform to California standards.  What pipes/cans/etc should I get?

Thanks!
2002 Softail Deuce, too many mods to list--bar bike
2006 Softail Deluxe, blue/white, tour mods, "girl bike"
2011 CVO Street Glide

There's no such thing as a bad Harley Davidson.

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
Re: California Pipes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »

You can go with Fulsac baffles in your cans. They will be stamped but won't meet standards or you can go with HD'S Fatshots by Supertrapp. They are rated for 50 state use. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »

Remove the cat from the head pipe and go with 2" Fullsac baffles. :2vrolijk_21:

Do a search on here for Fullsac and conctact Steve for both a catless head pipe and the baffles.

They keep the stock appearance (just in case they pass the bill that's in the legislature right now), while increasing performance and improve the sound without being obnoxious......still able to hear the stereo on the road! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:12:23 PM »

Agree with JCZ as to the best course but if you really want to "conform to California Standards,"  that is STOCK.   :P  Modifying the exhaust is not "legal" in most states nor under Federal Law for on road use.  That's why I only ride my SERG "off road," like everyone else on the site.   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2: 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

BobFarmer

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »

Yeah, um, totally!  Off-road!  That's what I'm gonna do too, how'd you know?

I have some really, really loud Vance & Hines on my Deuce, and its an 88 twin.  I can only imagine what the 110 is capable of...

Arizona, anyone?
2011 CVO Street Glide

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »

Agree with JCZ as to the best course but if you really want to "conform to California Standards,"  that is STOCK.   :P  Modifying the exhaust is not "legal" in most states nor under Federal Law for on road use.  That's why I only ride my SERG "off road," like everyone else on the site.   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2: 

GK

Now that sounds more like a comment coming from a legal defense attorney Greg, rather than a real estate attorney. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 02:42:48 PM »

Had to include the "disclaimer."   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

BobFarmer

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »

The guys at my dealership suggest the Fatshotz 2-into-2 Slip-on mufflers (2011 book page 484) for a better sound with no legal hassle.  I heard them on a 103 Ultra Classic, and they do sound good, but nothing like what the guys in Arizona can do for me.  Do you think they are they actually any better than the ones that come stock on our bikes?
2011 CVO Street Glide

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 01:23:56 PM »

The guys at my dealership suggest the Fatshotz 2-into-2 Slip-on mufflers (2011 book page 484) for a better sound with no legal hassle.  I heard them on a 103 Ultra Classic, and they do sound good, but nothing like what the guys in Arizona can do for me.  Do you think they are they actually any better than the ones that come stock on our bikes?

Well, they're in business to sell you something.  Personally, with Fullsac baffles available, I don't know why anybody would buy new mufflers.

By the way, did you see the news board?  The bill passed with modifications.....if will only apply to bikes made in 2013 and later.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53486.msg776191#msg776191

West Coast GTG   

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »

Sounds like you're worried about alot of things. If so, keep the stock cat headpipes and have Fulsac modify your stock mufflers with 1 3/4" baffles. You will be legal, happy with the sound and have a hot right thigh. Eventually you'll get tired of the hot thigh and go catless with the stock headpipes and add a XIED and all will be good.
I too am in Calif. and have thought this out on two of my bikes with the "what if scenario".
PS...buy a used stock headpipe and have the cat removed. That way you can always go back to the cat exhaust on your original system.
dave29

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »

Well, they're in business to sell you something.  Personally, with Fullsac baffles available, I don't know why anybody would buy new mufflers.

By the way, did you see the news board?  The bill passed with modifications.....if will only apply to bikes made in 2013 and later.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53486.msg776191#msg776191

JCZ and GregKhougaz are both right as rain on the Fullsac combination.  It's the best!
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

BobFarmer

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »

I think I'm going to start by calling Fullsac.  I'm no mechanic though, so I have to find some people to help me with that (San Diego area).

@dave29: I'm going to have to do some research just to understand what you said, but it seems like good info.  This must be how people feel when I start talking about my work to the untrained ear... :)
2011 CVO Street Glide

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »

Bob....what I meant is that you can find a used stock headpipe with the cat still in it. Send it to Fulsac or someone else that removes the cat. Then you just remove your stock headpipes that has the cat in them and replace it with the catless pipe. This way you can save your stock exhaust headpipe if the law ever changes and you need to re install the cat system. Also send your stock mufflers to Fulsac and have new baffles installed. You can choose from 3 sizes with the largest and loudest size being 2 1/4". I prefer the 1 3/4" baffle because it adds a little rumble but you can still hear your radio and the sound is not offensive.

The next step is purely up to you but here is my recommendation. These bikes run lean which accounts for much of the heat. Removing the cat really helps because the cat acts like a heat sink. You need to add a tuner like TTS or others. What I did after much thought was go to a XIED plug in set up. You can Google Xied and read up on them. What I like about them is how simple the install is and though it's not really a high performabce tuner like TTS, it does richen the bike, reduces heat, and makes the throttle more responsive. The other thing I like is that if i'm on the road and I have a mechanical issue, I don't need a computer to remove a tune up and download a stock progran. All you need to do is simply unplug the set up and reconnect the stock ECM plugs. Takes about 1 minute. To me thats a big issue since I have a extended warranty. I've had too many problems with dealerships over the years and I don't want to give them a reason to hassle me on warranty repairs.
 I know the everyone has their opinon on the tuner/cat subject and I think thats great. This just happens to be my 2 cents on what has worked for myself amd my friends.
Ride safe and enjoy.
dave29

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:16:43 AM »

I think I'm going to start by calling Fullsac.  I'm no mechanic though, so I have to find some people to help me with that (San Diego area).

@dave29: I'm going to have to do some research just to understand what you said, but it seems like good info.  This must be how people feel when I start talking about my work to the untrained ear... :)

Give Steve a call at Fullsac.  He'll explain it so that you'll understand.  He no longer removes cats from the head pipe however, he now has catless head pipes for sale.  He can sell you the whole package (tuner pre-programmed, just plug and play, catless head pipe and the baffles).

West Coast GTG   

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.