Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Done riding for a week or two...... Love Bugs....  (Read 1321 times)

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Done riding for a week or two...... Love Bugs....
« on: September 14, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »

The second season of Love Bugs has started. Ran into them while riding to Bruce Rossmeyer HD Sunday. I really do not like those stupid things. At least they are gone for Biketoberfest. Bummin' because it looks like no rain for a few days (unusual for this time of year).

OK, my whining is done.
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Done riding for a week or two...... Love Bugs....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »

Here is what they are for those lucky enough not to know what they are.

http://picsdigger.com/keyword/love%20bugs/
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

Dracula

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »

Haven't see any in Texas this year????  I'm certainly not complaining, just curious why they didn't show up over here?

:vampire:

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »

They are a creature generally unique to Florida. They need citrus, carbon dioxide and each other to proliferate! They were genetically engineered by USF to kill mosquitos and unleashed on an unknowing public. The lifespan of each individual is only about 24 hrs, but they reproduce at such an alarming rate that one pair produces thousands which then pair up, etc., etc. They show up twice a year, late May early June and late Sept. early October. Since the genetic experiment failed they do nothing to combat the mosquito population but try to ingest all the carbon monoxide possible. They congregate along all the highways and fly joined together two at a time into anything on the highway.
They are extremely acidic and will cause damage to all automotive finishes not waxed previously and washed immediately after contact. I have encountered swarms so thick that windshield wipers were necessary to smear them around enough to create a spot to see the road! If you ever encounter them you will understand why we have an extra season in Florida. "Love Bug Season" One more thing they have no natural enemies other than motor vehicles and they are suicidal!

Dracula

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »

Oh yeah...they are in Texas too.  Back in the day of a Wide Glide, no windshield and just a pair of Wiley X glasses, I hit a swarm that lasted about 40 or 50 miles.  Had to stop every 10 minutes to clean my glasses because I couldn't see!  I had them up my nose, in my ears, hair, well, pretty much everywhere.  The majority of the ones I ate tasted like chit...but every now and then I would get a sweet one.  I'm thouroughly convinced those were females!

My Toy Hauler is living proof they eat paint.  We had to cut a camping trip short because the Love Bugs were sooooooo bad!  Came home to in-op A/C in the house.  Opened all of the windows, then a rain came.  Carpet got wet, I slipped on wet tile and dislocated my knee.  A couple of days later a Bud came over, unloaded my bike from the Toy Hauler, and we took the Toy Hauler to the storage lot unwashed.  Several weeks later I brought it home to clean it up (once I got off of crutches), and the damage was done.  The front of my Toy Hauler is now two-tone.

:vampire:

charlie

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:34:11 PM »

We get them here in GA. as well every year, not this year for some reason, not complaining just don't know why.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:22:06 PM »

I still remember my 1st encounter with them in 1960 in southern Georgia.  Messy critters when you run into the swarms on a scooter.  Never heard the history that they were introduced as an experiment before though.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MY2NDCVO

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »

Jus Cruisin, You are right, I took a ride over to the Regal Boat Factory on Friday, a trip we had planned for several weeks & the love bugs were awful on the way over, but did not hit even one the whole ride home. Washed the bike right away after getting home, no damage, but I also put on two coats of wax the day before we left, took all back roads & was on the bike for over 8hrs both ways. Never Again, I usually don't ride in love bug season (about two weeks)  & never will again.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »

Maybe there is a blessing of living in a place where it get -30 in the winter. It kills just about everything that can't put on enough fat to survive.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 11:01:28 PM »

Have not seen anything like that in Oklahoma hope we do not the wild hogs are bad enough
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »

I'd take a week or two of messy love bugs over ferral hogs running loose all over.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 09:23:28 PM »

Like on the toy hauler, I let them sit on my pickup for 3 days....ate the paint. Hit them at less than 30 and they fly off when you stop!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.