Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 Cvo SG Rear suspension woes  (Read 2251 times)

Rudy T

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
2011 Cvo SG Rear suspension woes
« on: October 16, 2010, 05:34:55 AM »

I just purchased a 2011 Cvo Street Glide and it feels like it has no rear suspension movement (hard as a rock). How can I fix this?

Regards
Rudy
Regards
Rudy

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
Re: 2011 Cvo SG Rear suspension woes
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 06:28:24 AM »

Thats the compromise with the lowered seat height, the rear suspension is slammed, options are to raise the stock settings or change out to an aftermarket set up

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »

I just purchased a 2011 Cvo Street Glide and it feels like it has no rear suspension movement (hard as a rock). How can I fix this?

Regards
Rudy

Rudy

I have a SG2 also. The rear shock on my scooter are the best stock shocks I've had on a HD tour bike. Have you tried adjusting them per the manual? Do you get any sag when you first sit on her?

JW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »

Before condemning the shocks, make sure they are adjusted properly.  The dealer should have taken you through the procedure, but we all know how that goes with most dealers.  I understand you folks in Australia didn't get manuals yet (I guess Harley didn't have the English to Australian interpreter available to do the translations ::)), but until you get the instructions I'd suggest you back off the preload adjustment knob completely, then turn it in until the bike sags approximately one inch when you sit on it.  Perhaps one of the SESG owners with a manual will be nice enough to copy the procedure from their manual and post it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rudy T

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 07:15:31 PM »

There is no sag when I sit on the bike (I weigh about 83 kilos with riding gear on). I will try it with the wife on the back (she is a decent sized unit) :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:, when she gets home, and see if anything moves (thats another 65 kg).

You are correct, we did not get any manuals in Australia (still waiting and not sure when they will arrive).

I tried setting the adjuster to low and then high and still no movement.

If anyone with a manual could let me know the correct adjustment procedure it would be greatly appreciated.

Rudy
Regards
Rudy

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:24:46 PM »

There is no sag when I sit on the bike (I weigh about 83 kilos with riding gear on). I will try it with the wife on the back (she is a decent sized unit) :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:, when she gets home, and see if anything moves (thats another 65 kg).

You are correct, we did not get any manuals in Australia (still waiting and not sure when they will arrive).

I tried setting the adjuster to low and then high and still no movement.

If anyone with a manual could let me know the correct adjustment procedure it would be greatly appreciated.

Rudy

Here's a copy from my manual.

1st page is shock absorber preload adjustment instructions
Next post will have table on recommended settings

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:25:25 PM »

Settings

Hope this helps.

JW

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »

Rudy

I have a SG2 also. The rear shock on my scooter are the best stock shocks I've had on a HD tour bike. Have you tried adjusting them per the manual? Do you get any sag when you first sit on her?

JW

I agree.  However, if you're used to the ride of an Ultra Classic, then the Street Glide will be stiffer, no matter what you do.  Kind of like going from the cush of a Cadallac to the firm/stiff ride of a Corvette, BMW, etc. :2vrolijk_21:  Better handling at speeds has a trade off.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 12:36:56 AM »

I agree.  However, if you're used to the ride of an Ultra Classic, then the Street Glide will be stiffer, no matter what you do.  Kind of like going from the cush of a Cadallac to the firm/stiff ride of a Corvette, BMW, etc. :2vrolijk_21:  Better handling at speeds has a trade off.

Good point, never been on an Ultra long enough to get a feel. I've been impressed with the stock shocks and handlebars on the SESG2. I'll probably replace the seat with another C&C to lower my ace some and narrow the front so my stubby legs reach. This is a pretty nice scooter.

JW

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 09:07:30 PM »

Why is that since both motorcycles have the same touring frame? I am struggling with this same issue. I am used to a Cadallac ride on my SEUC and my new SESG is rough. On my SG, I put on Traxxion forks and took my Bitubos from the SEUC and installed them on my SG for testing. I also played with adjustments after the swap. The combination helped, but still not like the ride of the SEUC.

Rudy T

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 06:12:14 AM »

Black Diamond,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to scan your manual for me. This explains it all.

If your planning a trip down under to beautiful Sydney, give me a holler and its my shout for the beers.

Thanks again.
Rudy
Regards
Rudy

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »

Black Diamond,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to scan your manual for me. This explains it all.

If your planning a trip down under to beautiful Sydney, give me a holler and its my shout for the beers.

Thanks again.
Rudy

:2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.