Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Altitude VS performance  (Read 654 times)

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
Altitude VS performance
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:26:17 AM »

Wow, DESERTHOG just posted his dyno results and map in "maps only" and those torque and hp curves are smooth and steady!  To the casual somebody, it may appear that your bike is not putting out that much.  But at nearly 7000 ft in altitude, you are limited.  When you ride to a low elevation, that critter is liable to give you a kick in the backside like a mule.

You are a brother for posting your map. Thanks, man.  This will save me and possibly some other folks alot of time.  When we get to Santa Fe, beers on me. :drink:

Thanks again and laters....

Bobby
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Re: Altitude VS performance
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't dyno runs adjust for altitude? Meaning 90hp on a dyno at 5,500 feet will still be only 90hp on a dyno at sea level?
Of course, real rear wheel hp will be significantly lower at altitude, but that's not what we're talking about.

By the way, I'm near Boulder, CO and got 89hp/104 ft lbs with fullsac 2.0" baffles and a PRO SERT dyno tune. No other changes.

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't dyno runs adjust for altitude? Meaning 90hp on a dyno at 5,500 feet will still be only 90hp on a dyno at sea level?
Of course, real rear wheel hp will be significantly lower at altitude, but that's not what we're talking about.

By the way, I'm near Boulder, CO and got 89hp/104 ft lbs with fullsac 2.0" baffles and a PRO SERT dyno tune. No other changes.

You are correct when using a correction factor like STD or SAE the power will be the same no mater where you make the run.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:16:39 PM »

So the dyno applies algorithums to correct the horsepower and and torque to sea level........my bad, fellers.  I do know what a kick it is to the seat of the pants feel when you ride your bike somewhere considerably lower in altitude than you have been.  It seems like "dang this thing's running good", but then it dawns on me how much lower the elevation is.

Anyone have a chart or graph that expected gains or losses from changes in air density or altitude?

Thanks,

Bobby
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »

A Google search revealed several scientific papers that all conclude, "it depends.."

However, the consensus seems to be a good rule of thumb is 3% loss for every 1,000 feet in elevation. So at 5,500 feet I'm down about 16.5% from what I'd make at sea level.
It sure runs better in Kansas than in Colorado. But, the roads are a lot nicer here...

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.