Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HID's (proper height and alignment)  (Read 2600 times)

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
HID's (proper height and alignment)
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:53:23 AM »

Finally installed the HID's that I bought from HD Dude earlier this year. Got everything back together and now the concentrated beams are out about 20' in front of the bike on the ground. If I have the bike locked in a stand at the shop, how high should the concentrated beam be focused ?  :confused5:.......................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: HID's (proper height and alignment)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »

Fuzz, I have the http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=31097.msg568043#msg568043Xenonlink HID's and Kuryakyn LED's. No realignment was required.  If your headlights are pointed down that much, it may be that you did not get the outer fairing installed correctly over the two hooks on either side of the radio.  At least that has happened to me.  It is also possible that the bulbs did not seat properly.  Otherwise, there are two hex screws accessible through the rear of the inner fairing to adjust the lights. Hope this helps. 

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:19:07 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »

It shouldn't matter what kind of light source you have (or type of vehicle for that matter), the aim should be the same.  Normally, that would be something like this:

Vertical Aim.
1.  Place motorcycle on level ground with headlight 25 feet from a flat vertical surface such as a wall.
2.  Measure the height of the centerline of the headlight with the rider aboard.
3.  Mark the headlight centerline measurement on the wall and draw a line parallel to the ground.
4.  Aim the headlights so that the high intensity spot is centered on the line with the high beams, and the top of the low beam is just below the line.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »

Fuzz:

I think you will need to raise the aim. GH, TN and Myself all had to aim the HID lights higher. I adjusted the upper green adjuster in about 2-3 turns. Then I placed front end on hooks to see where the aim point was. If close I then finished front end install and did final adjustment with the lower adjusters through the adjusting holes. Make sure the mounting bracket is clear of both bottom holes. I had to file braket to get socket on the adjuster.

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:20 PM »

Fuzz:

I think you will need to raise the aim. GH, TN and Myself all had to aim the HID lights higher.

Brad

Same here.  After HID installs on six different bikes all had to adjusted up.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »

Thanks guys, after the initial install the beams were 20 ' infront of the bike. I took it out at night and I was shocked at the lack of light. When I got it home and was putting the scoot back into the toybox for the night, my ramp that leads down into the backyard is about 20' higher than the ground that the ramp comes to rest on. Anyway the whole back yard was lit up like it was day time. So I know the lights work well but the focus has to be changed. Thanks for all the tips.  ............................................................Fuzz
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:48:54 AM by FUZZNUTS »
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:55:11 PM »

The socket to use for the adjustment is 4mm...not a common one...good luck!

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:57:31 PM »

I'm holding out on this mod.
 ???
I've just heard too much about oncoming cars flashing, in earlier tread,  if they are  flashing you then they are telling you "I can not SEE YOU properly because you are blinding me."  It is my understanding that HID filiments really only work correctly if they have the headlight body with the proper reflector &  lens to properly focus them, without those to support the HID you are just flooding the area ahead of you with light.

I guess this mod is OK for daylight riding, but at night this juryrig I feel is not safe. At this point I will just keep bugging HD or others to come out with the proper HIDs for RGs but as we all know that will most likely not be in my life time.   ride safe.
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »

I've done hid change to several E-Glides and Road Kings.  All too good effect and with much better night riding safety.  My own hasn't had problem with response from oncoming drivers either.  Speaking to my Road Glide, however, hid changeover hasn't been necessary.

I'm using the European reflector for the HDI bikes and two good Silverstar H4 bulbs.   It's great at night.  No need to do anything more.   

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 02:40:16 PM »

Curious about Jettjockey's post, above.  Guess I have to disagree.  

I have had the Xenonlink, 1 x H4(9003, HB2) Hi/Lo 6000K Automobile HID Kit in the bike for over a year.  ($119.)  I did update the kit when they updated the ballasts (smaller and no lights no longer need uninterrupted power).  They are certainly far brighter than stock and as far as I can tell render as much light as the new LED bulbs at a fraction of the cost. (That is an observation, not a measurement).  Even during canyon riding at night, I have never needed high beams, the lights are that good.  Yet, I have never been "flashed" by oncoming drivers.  In fact, there is a distinctive line where the light cuts off rather than the glare of the stock bulbs.  You can test this up against your garage door.  

GregKhougaz

As a comical aside, a couple of weeks ago I approached another bike from behind and the rider pulled over and stopped.  After I past him, he caught me at the next light and told me he thought I was a motorcop because of my LED turn signals.    :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:  They get attention!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 04:33:52 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 02:54:36 PM »

OK sounds good, I'm here,  I realize 2nd guessing something you have done, & as such you are seeing good results, ..... that I guess was the reason for my comments, to get some additional positive feed back,  hmmmmmm
still thinking on it, thanks for your comments.
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.