Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gerbing Heated Outerwear.....what's your personal experience?  (Read 2139 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Gerbing Heated Outerwear.....what's your personal experience?
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »

Terrie and I have had the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves for a few years. 

It's time to upgrade and we're considering the Gerbing outerwear......either the XE jacket and pants or the Hybrid LT jacket and the XE pants.   http://gerbing.com/Products/outerwear.php

Our main reason for considering these items is because they're supposed to be waterproof and that translates into a bit lighter/smaller load to pack in the winter months (don't have to take the rainsuit). 

Does anybody have any personal experience with the Gerbing outerwear riding or snow mobiling?  Is it really waterproof?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
Re: Gerbing Heated Outerwear.....what's your personal experience?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »

Trudy & I looked at them when we were in Reno for her but went with the liner.  They were nice quality but seemed too bulky.  We also decided that we did not always want to be stuck with having to wear just it to have the heat.

Very glad now as living in AZ that we have the liners. We do use our liners alot but ride with anything from just the liner, liner & sweat shirt, liner &...... on & on.  The liner is the perfect product.

Trudy bought a new jacket in December, a very nice material style jacket.  What is interesting is the amount of heat you get from the liner with leather over it vs the material jacket over it.  Leather wins hands down.

My vote is keep your liners & keep your FXRG.

Will be interested in what others say.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Krazze

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »

I have the  Dual-Source Heated Functional Jacket, Just as easy to pack as a leather  jacket. Not much need for the leather one anymore. One of the best things I have bought. Some of the other people I ride with have got one after they saw mine. It is made by Gerbing. Only link I could find for one is

http://chunkyriverharley-davidson.com/eshopprod_cat_2325-74421-74422-74758_product_829040.Dual-Source_Heated_Functional_.htm

I had the liner and liked it but this works a lot better for me. I took the armor out of it (packs easier)
Krazze

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »

I've been looking at that dual-Source jacket for quite some time but already have the gerbings liner which I love.  Does the dual-Source Jacket have any Vents that can open?

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »

Just got off the phone with someone who discussed this matter based upon his recent MC show in Greenville, SC...Interested in other opinions...

Krazze

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »

No vents but no loose wires hanging when not riding and just one coat. Have had the liner but for me I like this better.
Krazze

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »

I have the  Dual-Source Heated Functional Jacket, Just as easy to pack as a leather  jacket. Not much need for the leather one anymore. One of the best things I have bought. Some of the other people I ride with have got one after they saw mine. It is made by Gerbing. Only link I could find for one is

http://chunkyriverharley-davidson.com/eshopprod_cat_2325-74421-74422-74758_product_829040.Dual-Source_Heated_Functional_.htm

I had the liner and liked it but this works a lot better for me. I took the armor out of it (packs easier)

Thanks, but that's not the XE (Xtreme Element) nor the hybrid.  I'm only interested in the two outerwear products.

Anybody else?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »

Thanks, but that's not the XE (Xtreme Element) nor the hybrid.  I'm only interested in the two outerwear products.

Anybody else?

My friend was reviewing mostly inner wear options....this is why I was seeking outer wear options...

DOOFUS

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »

I find GERBING "outerwear" hilarious.  Here's why.  Forever, GERBING has insisted that the ONLY way to get heat to your core is to have their liner as close to you as possible.  Now they are putting it FURTHER AWAY from you. Can't wait to hear evaluations about how this WONDER SET UP performs. 

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »

JC - I looked at that jacket and pants at last years NYC bike show. Nice but the $460 price kept me away. Looks like the price has come down significantly based on the link you posted.
I always thought it would make a good compromise for touring. Only one jacket to carry and no rain gear. Long term weather resistance would be the next concern.

Return policy would be something to check out. I bought the boot liners at last years show and when I finally got a round to trying them out they were too big. Gerbing refused to exchange them because I was out of the 90 return. Arguing that the included liners were no way close to the boot size I bought was a moot point.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:51:31 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »

Thanks for your feedback Duane.....I appreciate it.

Yes, they do seem to be very strict with their warranty and return policy.  As long as you know that going in to it.....you're all good.  My experience.....I thought I don't need to send a warranty card in....I can always get proof at the BMW dealership where I've purchased all of our heated gear.  They changed cash register/computer programs two years ago and don't have anything back beyond that. :nixweiss:

I talked to them recently, at the BMW dealership......they stated that they weren't aware that a buyer had to send in a warranty card.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:34:30 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »

I have an Aerostich Darien that I wear over my liner.  It's waterproof and is the only jacket I wear except when it gets very hot.  It also has vents under the arms you can open along with a vent in the back.  I've been told that the Darien Light is more comfortable from the start because it is 200 Denier Nylon as compared to 500 in the regular Darien.  It's nice to not have to change jackets when it rains as well.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »

I have an Aerostich Darien that I wear over my liner.  It's waterproof and is the only jacket I wear except when it gets very hot.  It also has vents under the arms you can open along with a vent in the back.  I've been told that the Darien Light is more comfortable from the start because it is 200 Denier Nylon as compared to 500 in the regular Darien.  It's nice to not have to change jackets when it rains as well.

But it's not heated so you still have to take along a heated liner when it's cold.  This thread and my inquiry is about the Gerbing XE jacket and pants and the LT Hybrid jacket specifically.

West Coast GTG   

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 21 queries.