Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: RIDE LIKE A PRO---Jerry Motorman Palladino & Donna  (Read 4455 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Re: RIDE LIKE A PRO---Jerry Motorman Palladino & Donna
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »

I've got the DVD's and practice in  the parking lot. Question: is it possible to have the rear tire spin out from under you as you go through a tight turn?  When I get to a certain lean angle, it takes more speed to control and fear of spin out is always there.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: RIDE LIKE A PRO---Jerry Motorman Palladino & Donna
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »

Question: is it possible to have the rear tire spin out from under you as you go through a tight turn? 

Sure it's possible, but there are a LOT of factors that come into play for that one, but the major ones are:

1. Road condition - Things that will reduce traction are sand, dirt, water, leaves, oil etc...
2. Tire condition - If your tires are bald that reduces your traction too.
3. Throttle control - As we all know, to efficiently take a turn or curve steady power MUST be delivered to the rear wheel for control. It can be as simple as working the clutch in the friction zone as in the offset exercise, or rolling on the throttle on a sweeping curve. Now, if a rider was to crack the throttle too hard on a bike with a lot of HP/TQ, then they run the risk of breaking that rear tire loose.

Remember when you are cornering, you are on the side of the tire and the amount of traction is reduced. But if a rider falls over in the circle exercise it's probably not a rear tire traction issue. Most of the time they either pulled in the clutch and removed power to the rear wheel, or their head and eyes were not where they should have been

Those are the main factors that come to mind for me. I'm sure others will post up with their experiences.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 25 queries.