Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fuel Gauge  (Read 4486 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Fuel Gauge
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 05:56:33 AM »

@Jerry:

nicely stated but maybe a little off topic  ::)

Speeddy's concern was not one or two possibly faulty gauges but a significantly different consumption with two more or less similar bikes. And to find out if that's so one should not believe in gauges (faulty or not) but calculate the consumption for an equal distance under equal conditions. Only after you did this you will know if you got really different consumptions or just faulty gauges  - which is more likely I concede ;)

Spend a little time in the court room?
IMHOP  on thought you were dead on topic and hit it out of the park Jerry.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:04:10 AM by guppytrash »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 09:07:38 AM »

@Jerry:

nicely stated but maybe a little off topic  ::)

Speeddy's concern was not one or two possibly faulty gauges but a significantly different consumption with two more or less similar bikes. And to find out if that's so one should not believe in gauges (faulty or not) but calculate the consumption for an equal distance under equal conditions. Only after you did this you will know if you got really different consumptions or just faulty gauges  - which is more likely I concede ;)

Hans, you're probably correct but when I read his original post it sounded more like he was just going by the gauge reading and not actually calculating fuel economy manually.  I don't see any mention of miles per gallon, all I see is miles to empty.  And if the gauge tells you your empty when you aren't even close to empty, that will definitely screw up the perception of total range.  And of course when other folks jump in and talk about the lousy gauges and just using the odometer to gauge fuel useage it tends to set me off.  I'm so very tired of the customers themselves making excuses for the p-poor quality and having to find workarounds for all the junk that doesn't work properly from the MoCo.  I can't think of a single soul who would accept this kind of crap from their $15k Ford Fiesta, but for some reason people accept it all day long on their $30k-$40k Harley. 

As for the actual consumption differences, you would think that identical powertrains in very similar motorcycles would in fact provide very similar fuel economy if ridden in the same manner.  But there are a lot of variables that have to be taken into account, none of which are detailed in this thread.  There is the weight difference, but it's not that significant.  More significant are the aerodynamic differences between the two models.  And any tuning differences can make a huge difference on a Harley.  If folks only look at wide open throttle AFR's, and don't look at steady state cruise parameters, they can fool themselves into thinking they have the same tune when in fact they are different as night and day.  Then there are the things like brake drag, tire rolling resistance, etc., etc., etc.

Speeddy, how about explaining exactly what you are talking about.  Are you just talking about the number of miles until the gauge tells you your empty, or actual miles per gallon calculated manually?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 10:29:41 AM »

My comment about using the trip odometer and check your mpg every fillup is not the end all fix. I do use my fuel gauge however as someone pointed out conditions do change and gathering as much info as can be had will enable you to better judge your range. Headwinds can drop your mileage so why wouldn't you check your mileage with a trip odometer if your facing this for 4-5 hours?
I agree the Motor company should do a better job in this area but they don't. This is just my humble opinion and it's worked for me.
Ride safe.

Slash

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 12:03:07 AM »

Hi, I bought Mi Amigo's 09 SEUC and this is my question. I have a 09 SERG and when I fill up my range til empty is around 260 to 270. I know this correct because I have run it low many times on long trips. The fuel range on the SEUC is about 215 to 220. The gas gauge will show empty before the light comes on. I took it to the dealer and they say it is correct. How can the same basic bike be so different. Just to add, we have about the same exhaust, stock tune Etc. I know theer is something not right, but how do I convince them

The milage difference makes complete sense to me.The RG's fairing is more aerodynamic and cuts through the wind more efficiently.On Iron Butt rides my Batwing friends would always be amazed at how much less gas I needed at fillups.The better gas milage is the only thing I miss about my old RoadGlide.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 10:59:31 PM »

I pretty much agree with Keats reply.  Mine reads 245 miles at fill-up, and my gauge seems to read pretty accurately though, or maybe I should say consistently.  It's just like in any car I've owned...the 2nd half of the tank goes faster than the first half.  If I get the entire way to E, I'm probably in trouble.  I think it's around the 10 miles remaining mark that it stops telling you how many miles you have left and just let's you know you are low on fuel.  The most I've ever made on one tank was 245 miles...probably the most restrained stretch I've ever ridden all at once.  Like Keats said, the Ultra is heavier, and it's also going to depend on the exact tuning from one bike to the other.  I get some big variations from tank to tank depending on how much I'm getting on the throttle also.  I check the odometer, miles remaining, gas gauge, and I also have my GPS set to let me know when I'm getting low on fuel.  I think I have the GPS set around the 180 mile mark to catch my attention a bit early in case my mind isn't where it should be.  I DO NOT want to have to try to push a 900+ pound bike.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 01:44:35 AM »

filled mine for the first time yesterday, big change from my 1340 softail custom that will get 320 km around town and up to 450 -500 on a trip , i suppose the price we pay for 110 cu

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 03:56:50 AM »

filled mine for the first time yesterday, big change from my 1340 softail custom that will get 320 km around town and up to 450 -500 on a trip , i suppose the price we pay for 110 cu

That's one thing I hadn't noticed previously on the Convertible...only has a 5 gallon tank.  It's definitely better than my Vrod.  I get scared everytime I pass a gas station and don't stop.  I'm pushing it at 100 to 110 miles per tank, which means I can't ride much more than an hour and I HAVE to stop...but it sure is fun between gas stops.

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 10:02:42 PM »

I reset my trip odometer religiously at each fill-up.  The low-fuel light comes on around the 40 'miles-to-go' mark.  If I run it down to about 20 miles to go, filling the tank usually takes around 5 gallons.  With that said, I've seen the low fuel light come on at 180 miles on the odometer when running on highways at consistent speeds, it's come on around 140 miles to go when riding aggressively in the twistys, and come on around 120 when doing a lot of slow speed or drill team practice.
I've seen the mpg vary from a high of 45 to a low in the mid-30s.  It can vary dramatically depending on the conditions and the fact you can be as much as + or - a half gallon just in how full you get your tank.

I'd say get an accurate idea of how much it takes to fill the tank from when the low fuel light comes on.  Subtract that from your tank capacity.  If it's off less than 2/10ths or over 1 gallon, I'd say you have a reasonable argument.  It's really all about knowing how much liquid is in the tank when the gage says empty.

I have no idea what the MOCO's 'tolerances' are for fuel gauges but this is the only way you can document your argument.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »

I've only used the odometer to calculate MPG when I fill up.  Too many variables to depend on that, unless, like Jerry said, you're a stop every 125 miles or so and fill up type of person.  I will watch when my low fuel light comes on for a couple of tanks and then notice how much fuel I put in each time.  For both of my bikes it's been pretty consistent.  On the SESG I have about .75 gals left when the light comes on and on the RUSE I have almost a gallon left when it comes on.  So I just consider them reserves.   Now knowing what each bike typically averages on MPG then lets me determine if I should fill up now,the SESG, or I can ride another 10-15 miles, the RUSE. The key is knowing your bikes and just like the warning on the GPS, for general guidance use.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 25 queries.