Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: clutch lever  (Read 1422 times)

Wife011CVO

clutch lever
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »

My wife has small hands, on her heritage the dealer loosened up the clutch lever little which made it easier to reach. 

I just called them and they said they can not do that on a hydraulic clutch lever.  Does anyone know of a lever or a way to adjust it so she can
reach it easier?

Pulling it in is not a problem, just her short fingers  :)

dartman

• Elite CVO Member

Wife011CVO

Re: clutch lever
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »

Looks good.  However will work with hydraulic clutch?  The Dealer said the regular ones will not work it has to specifically for a hydraulic clutch.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »

Looks good.  However will work with hydraulic clutch?  The Dealer said the regular ones will not work it has to specifically for a hydraulic clutch.

Even if that lever was available with a mount that worked inside the clutch perch for your hydraulic clutch it still wouldn't work.  In fact I don't think anything will for your wife's particular problem.

There is no adjustment on the hydraulic clutch.  And the hydraulics need the full travel of that lever.  So if you attach a lever or do just about anything else (like fatter grips) that shortens the throw very much you won't fully disengage the clutch.  She's stuck with needing that much travel in the hydraulic system.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »

Even if that lever was available with a mount that worked inside the clutch perch for your hydraulic clutch it still wouldn't work.  In fact I don't think anything will for your wife's particular problem.

There is no adjustment on the hydraulic clutch.  And the hydraulics need the full travel of that lever.  So if you attach a lever or do just about anything else (like fatter grips) that shortens the throw very much you won't fully disengage the clutch.  She's stuck with needing that much travel in the hydraulic system.

Don, do you think maybe changing the bar might help?

Maybe a differant angle could help her get a grip, so to speak  :nixweiss:

Just a thought

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »

Thats what I get for not finishing the fine print, I saw them advertised at a swap meet and thought they might be compatible with Hydraulics.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »

I don't know of anybody that makes one, but perhaps one exists.  If the clutch master cylinder were slightly larger size, or the slave cylinder slightly smaller, then an equal movement of the master piston would give greater travel of the slave.  So the lever reach could be shortened while still disengaging it fully.  The pull would be a bit harder, but that isn't too much of a problem with a hydraulic unit.  If it means the difference between safe and not it would be worth investigating bore diameters on some of the aftermarket masters.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Wife011CVO

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »

thanks all for the help.  Its not a make or break or ride or not issue.  she can still grip and pull in the clutch.  I will let her know, as of right now no adjustment can be made.

thanks.
 :)

Dwight

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide CVO/Champion Trike
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »

Kinda expensive, but Kuryakyn (SP) used to offer an auto clutch for the big twins, someone else also has one but I don't remember who it was.  Google auto clutch for HD and you might find it.  You still have the ability to use the clutch but you don't have to.  It's been awhile since I looked at it so I might not be correct.  It's worth looking at.

Dwight

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.