Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feedback on 110 motor add-on's  (Read 1696 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Feedback on 110 motor add-on's
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »

I have been looking into adding a Fueler Oil Pump and adding the Gear Driven Cam to my 110. I am not looking for performance but longevity of the motor. I also want to add adjustable push rods but that voids my warranty now with Harley. I plan on doing this when my bike goes out of warranty. The Cam Tensioner I want to use is an S&S. Is there anything else I should look at having done when there in the Cam Chest. S.E. Roller Rockers?? What type adjustable Push Rods?
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Feedback on 110 motor add-on's
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:02:07 PM »

I have been looking into adding a Fueler Oil Pump and adding the Gear Driven Cam to my 110. I am not looking for performance but longevity of the motor. I also want to add adjustable push rods but that voids my warranty now with Harley. I plan on doing this when my bike goes out of warranty. The Cam Tensioner I want to use is an S&S. Is there anything else I should look at having done when there in the Cam Chest. S.E. Roller Rockers?? What type adjustable Push Rods?

Some say using the Feuling oil pump and stock hydraulic cam tensioners that the tensioner shoes wear prematurely because of the extra oil pressure.

S&S cam tensioner-with gear driven cams, there shouldn't be any tensioner(s).
If you use S&S parts, I would use S&S pushrods.

Most people change the inner cam bearings and upgrade to a SE cam support plate.

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »

really don't want gear driven cams unless you deal with the flywheel issues, stay with the chain setup,  if youran gear drive you wouldn't need tensioners anyway. just use the factory setup its pretty good. you really don't need the fueling oil pump either, the 110 has a higher output  pump that works very well. you might consider their camplate or the screamin eagle camplate thats a good thing. if you do put cams in, ask an experienced builder as to which ones, as you can actually lose power if you choose the wrong ones for you set up. consider lifters with the new cams, many choices out there, do some research, push rods are another bag of worms, e-z install, different materials different this different that, again, ask the builder thats is recommending the cams. you might want to find a shop that can lead you in a good direction, before you buy stuff, and lose your butt on it, and unless you use harley stuff, thru a dealer install, kiss the warr. good bye!!  

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »

should have asked this first, what year 110 is this?

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »

Its a 2010 110 motor.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »

Food for Thought: Roller rockers will make a louder valve train. At least that was my experience with the Crane roller rockers in my 01 low rider (Zippers 95" muscle kit + extras). 560 lift gear drive cams and it was frocking noisy! I loved the power but was very unhappy with the noise which HD and Zippers told me is normal with this type of setup. I had the Rivera oil pump and had no problems with it. I used Jim's Hydra solids lifter which I would not use again.   Good luck.  :bananarock:

Zipper's did not reccommend the Jim's billet cam plate because they had previous problems with them. That was prior to HD and Rivera coming out with theres.

P.S. My current 09SERG is very Happy with the Fulsac Stage II map and Andrews 54 cams and Cometic .030 head gaskets! Runs great!

Face
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:56:50 PM by faceracer »
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »

ok, I thought it was a newer bike all my stuff is good, you dont want the gear drive the new chain system works well much lower drag on the crank, and hyd. tensioners are lasting a whole lot longer than the old spring type, I think you do need some professional guidance in this area though. Roller rockers are only for longevity of valve train, valve guide friendly, and do remove some friction heat (tiny amount) I put them in all my motors, never experienced any more noise frome them, some cams cause that due to ramp design, I don't think you want a cam that big anyhow

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 06:08:22 PM »

there is a post on here with a motor with 35k , and tensioner wear, doesn't seem to be the norm, but food for thought. gear drive without doing the crank is not recommended though, breaks things

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »

It is my understanding that HD changed the cam setup in '07 and moved away from older style problem ridden tensioners. The new setup is supposed to be significanly better. At least according to a few builders I spoke with. I changed my '03 Deuce to S & S 510 G gear driven cams and loved them. I opted away from the newer HD upgrade becuase of the additional costs involved.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 07:25:11 PM »

It is my understanding that HD changed the cam setup in '07 and moved away from older style problem ridden tensioners. The new setup is supposed to be significanly better. At least according to a few builders I spoke with. I changed my '03 Deuce to S & S 510 G gear driven cams and loved them. I opted away from the newer HD upgrade becuase of the additional costs involved.

WillyB, the change over started with the 06 dyna's.   <--- the guinea pig
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »

Extended W.....
leave it stock, ain't worth putting much into IMHO.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.