Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Tech (zumo 660) Plays MP3s...kinda  (Read 1881 times)

TwoAlpha

Road Tech (zumo 660) Plays MP3s...kinda
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:03:53 PM »

I have a new CVO Ultra with a Road Tech zumo (660) on the dash mount and I'm confused as to how MP3 playing is supposed to work. I first ran this with no MP3s loaded. The GPS worked great and as expected, muted whatever source I was listening to for verbal commands. I then loaded two sample MP3 files and tried them briefly. I was surprised that I needed to patch the Audio Out to the AUX port to hear the MP3s rather than it sending audio through the mount like the GPS audio. After much reading on various fora, I came to the conclusion that was the way it was for MP3.

Meanwhile I did a full software and map update on my Road Tech and then loaded a few dozen MP3s for a more serious test. At first the MP3 seemed to work as it had previously. Suddenly though, I had substantial drop in volume driving at speed. When I hit the volume button to bump it up, I noticed the radio indicated I was adjusting GPS/phone volume (not the general stereo volume). I could still hear the MP3 playing, though softly. I unplugged the AUX patch cord and sure enough, I could still hear the MP3--sure enough, it was playing through the mount.  I don't know if this changed behavior was as a result of the software update or if I didn't give my previous test enough of a chance. However, the volume wasn't even close to high enough and it seemed to be only playing bits and pieces--kind of the same as when the GPS jumps in briefly to mute and read driving instructions. Based on this brief experience, using a patch cord is waaay better than this solution. Or maybe I just go back to using my IPOD and the Road Tech goes back to a GPS-only device. Or maybe I haven't figured out how to best use this yet.

What gives? How is this really supposed to work? What am I missing?
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
'03 Heritage with lots o' goodies
Former '07 CVO Ultra

TwoAlpha

Re: Road Tech (zumo 660) Plays MP3s...kinda
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:31:22 AM »

After lots of reading, I may have answered my own question. It sounds like I've stumbled on the false triggering NIM problem. I need the new cable to (hopefully) fix this issue. And then wire it as it should have been done from the factory.
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
Former '07 CVO Ultra

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:16:14 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 07:36:01 AM »

I have a new CVO Ultra with a Road Tech zumo (660) on the dash mount and I'm confused as to how MP3 playing is supposed to work. I first ran this with no MP3s loaded. The GPS worked great and as expected, muted whatever source I was listening to for verbal commands. I then loaded two sample MP3 files and tried them briefly. I was surprised that I needed to patch the Audio Out to the AUX port to hear the MP3s rather than it sending audio through the mount like the GPS audio. After much reading on various fora, I came to the conclusion that was the way it was for MP3.

Meanwhile I did a full software and map update on my Road Tech and then loaded a few dozen MP3s for a more serious test. At first the MP3 seemed to work as it had previously. Suddenly though, I had substantial drop in volume driving at speed. When I hit the volume button to bump it up, I noticed the radio indicated I was adjusting GPS/phone volume (not the general stereo volume). I could still hear the MP3 playing, though softly. I unplugged the AUX patch cord and sure enough, I could still hear the MP3--sure enough, it was playing through the mount.  I don't know if this changed behavior was as a result of the software update or if I didn't give my previous test enough of a chance. However, the volume wasn't even close to high enough and it seemed to be only playing bits and pieces--kind of the same as when the GPS jumps in briefly to mute and read driving instructions. Based on this brief experience, using a patch cord is waaay better than this solution. Or maybe I just go back to using my IPOD and the Road Tech goes back to a GPS-only device. Or maybe I haven't figured out how to best use this yet.

What gives? How is this really supposed to work? What am I missing?

I have this same problem.

I read you second post, but do not understand the "fix" - HELP would be appreciated.

THanks,

TwoAlpha

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »

I have this same problem.

I read you second post, but do not understand the "fix" - HELP would be appreciated.

THanks,

The bottomline is this is a known NIM design problem that results in "false triggering". Bissjim (and others) have tons of great posts on this that explain it in detail. Probably the best thread to read (all 8 pages) is http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=59215.105 with the key entries being the initial writeup, and replies 20 and 42. Ultimately, the solution is described in reply 105 and newer--a new NIM part number, available a week ago. However, there's been little/no feedback to know whether it really fixes the issues or not.
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
Former '07 CVO Ultra

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.